Hunter Beast Mastery
US Stalagg
donator Posts: 87
Orc
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

My favorite class has always been a mage. An undead mage is what I'm thinking of rolling on release day. My wife will be playing a hunter so when I'm not leveling a hunter or rogue with her, I'll be leveling a mage. I did main a warrior on retail back when TBC was out. I don't have the time and concentration(kids/career/husband duties) to level one again.
I was curious has anyone actually leveled a mage in vanilla? Was it enjoyable? Were there days you really wanted to give up and re-roll?

Quicks - Orc Hunter - US Sulfuras
Chablo - Undead Mage - US Sulfuras

Paladin Retribution
donator Posts: 64
Dwarf
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

What do you mean by, "give up and re-roll"? If you're talking about the difficulty of leveling as a mage, it's one of the easiest.

Fairbanks - Alliance
US Ret Pally - Fairbanks - <Team Naked>
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 281
Human
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

My Horde Char back then was a mage and i never leveled a char that easy. I mean yeah hunters are cool with the pet but if it dies you are mostly fucked. As a mage you can mass pull with blizzard and as long as you have mana you are fine.

Chablo
My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Druid Balance
donator Posts: 111
Troll
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Mage is very easy and enjoyable but your rotation compared to other classes is very boring. Not paladin level boring, mind you, but close.

Currently playing Kegtek, troll hunter on Ten Storms EU
I used to play Warn, human mage on The Maelstrom EU <Ashbringer | Rachell's Angels | Entrophy | Relentless>
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 16
Undead
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Leveling a Mage is actually really fun. Teleport, blink, slow fall, free food and water, the list goes on. If you wan to roll one, id suggest getting tailoring and enchanting right away and making a wand for yourself real early. Other than that, the Azure Silk set that you craft with Tailoring is pretty op.

Hunter Survival
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 241
Tauren
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Mage was my second character in vanilla and I loved it all the way through. AoE grinding gives you a unique way of leveling and quality of life options are excellent: free drinks, teleports/portals, extra mob and gank protection via polymorph, low gear dependence. Blinking around before your first mount may feel slow but you're not alone in that respect.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

FrostSTeeL wrote:
5 years ago
Leveling a Mage is actually really fun. Teleport, blink, slow fall, free food and water, the list goes on. If you wan to roll one, id suggest getting tailoring and enchanting right away and making a wand for yourself real early. Other than that, the Azure Silk set that you craft with Tailoring is pretty op.
All of this. My first toon was a rogue till around 40 and then I started a mage. My mage became my main quickly. Not only are they fun to level, the level 60 challenges are limitless (if you can slow it, you can kill it!). Mages have been know to single-handedly take down some of Azeroth's fiercest foes from https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11896/borelgore to https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=8197/chronalis. During the pre-Naxx events there were mages successfully taking down 93-mob pulls solo!( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O_pNDc73MM check the 12:40 mark!)

Dolamite Vinni
Our time will come.
Hillsbrad Foothills
US Sulfuras
donator Posts: 344
Alliance
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Mage is a fun class to level, and a fun class to World PvP with as well. Poly + blink allows for great gank escape options as well.

Stranglethorn Vale
donator Posts: 43
Human
Mage
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Cletus wrote:
5 years ago
FrostSTeeL wrote:
5 years ago
All of this. My first toon was a rogue till around 40 and then I started a mage. My mage became my main quickly. Not only are they fun to level, the level 60 challenges are limitless (if you can slow it, you can kill it!). Mages have been know to single-handedly take down some of Azeroth's fiercest foes from https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=11896/borelgore to https://classic.wowhead.com/npc=8197/chronalis. During the pre-Naxx events there were mages successfully taking down 93-mob pulls solo!( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O_pNDc73MM check the 12:40 mark!)
Oh my lord.

So I've wanted to main a mage in classic for a long time, but recently started glancing at maybe doing a warrior instead. Thank you for convincing me otherwise :biggrin:

Cletus
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I've leveled a mage to 60 twice. It's not difficult, but I find it very, very repetitive. Frostbolt x3, Nova, run backwards, Frostbolt x2, and dead. Repeat.

Sure there's aoe farming but there's only a few places to do it and those areas are often camped.

But it's nice that you are desired in every 5 man dungeon run because of Polymorph.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
donator Posts: 2
Dwarf
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

First class I ever rolled was a mage. It wasn't particularly hard until I reached 30 or so and got to STV, just . Mind you I didn't know what talent points were until I hit 45 I think (I was a kid back then, and English was still very hard for me!). Overall I would say it was pretty easy, but a little repetitive