Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
donator Posts: 229
Horde
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

So I started WoW when I was young and horrible with money.

Now I'm older and still horrible with money.

With this fresh start I'd like to break that trend and be responsible from the start. I don't want to have to feel like everything I want to buy is some huge lofty far-off goal.

So I know that there will be people who have plans to corner the market on X resource, farming devilsaurs, etc.

But in a general sense are there any bits of wisdom that the economically skilled can offer to the rest of us?

Any overarching rules that we should follow to avoid money sinks?

I know there's obvious things like never buy gear on AH, only spend when you absolutely have to, etc... but anything a bit more nuanced, yet still widely applicable to a lot of players?

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 281
Human
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

pan0phobik wrote:
5 years ago
know there's obvious things like never buy gear on AH, only spend when you absolutely have to, etc
That is not correct. There are some items that you will wear for 15+ levels and you will kill way faster. So faster kill time is more drops and so on and on.

But it really depends.

Also a tip is that all white items should be on the bank for the first month or so because people will not have that much money. So you should buy in the beginning everything that you know has worth like small flame sac and then resell them.

In general you should buy low and sell high. That way i made millions in Mop (when i started the Goblin way) and made enough to buy every Xpack and Game on Bnet since then.

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
Horde
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

IronBrutzler wrote:
5 years ago
pan0phobik wrote:
5 years ago
know there's obvious things like never buy gear on AH, only spend when you absolutely have to, etc
That is not correct. There are some items that you will wear for 15+ levels and you will kill way faster. So faster kill time is more drops and so on and on.
That makes sense. Hopefully we have a guide that helps us point these out?
Also a tip is that all white items should be on the bank for the first month or so because people will not have that much money. So you should buy in the beginning everything that you know has worth like small flame sac and then resell them.
What do you mean on the bank?
In general you should buy low and sell high.
People have been telling me this exact thing since Vanilla and I have failed at this every single time. Could you go into the thought process you go through when putting this to action?

Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

On the bank = in the bank (he means you shouldnt sell stuff immediately but wait for prices to go up, which they will 100%)

Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
Horde
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Samaraner wrote:
5 years ago
On the bank = in the bank (he means you shouldnt sell stuff immediately but wait for prices to go up, which they will 100%)
ohh okay, makes sense. Does this include white starting items? It's going to be hard to store white items on top of everything else I need to with the limited storage options of Vanilla.

Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 24
Dwarf
Priest
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I don't know how well this would work on launch, but a thing I used to do back in the day was to put the BoE greens I got while out questing on the AH. It used to keep me out of money trouble while leveling in vanilla.

pan0phobik