Teldrassil
donator Posts: 62
Horde
Hunter

WoW Classic 27th of August! All the hype.

Found a very nice interview on wowhead with the lead engineer and production director of Classic. Heres a summary of the top points from me...

Graphics toggle CONFIRMED:

Blizzard Entertainment
We wanted to make sure that you could get the Classic look exactly right if you wanted that, so we have a Classic graphics button option, to make sure you don't see things that weren't in Classic. If you hit that button, it will turn that ground clutter all the way down, with all the objects exactly where they were too.
Addons probably not coming at launch:
 Blizzard Entertainment
I think we plan to do it, but not sure if we'll have it for launch. We're trying to make sure that API is available, but the timeline for launch we're unsure about.

It will be a different one, but I don't know if I would categorize it as completely different. We are starting with our modern codebase, and that includes the modern API, but there are addon APIs that don't make sense for Classic, and in those cases, we're trying to roll things back to reflect how the game behaved back then.

Castbars are a good example of this. Everyone remembers that they had a castbar in Classic, but that was a castbar addon, and you couldn't actually query the status except on yourself. So they were all basically guesses as to what was going on. That meant you didn't actually know what spell someone else was casting, or how long it would last--you had to figure it out and guess. As that's gameplay-affecting, we wanted to restore that functionality.

In terms of maintaining--for every content release we do for World of Warcraft today, we will change the API pretty regularly. That's not something we plan to do with Classic though. Once that API is defined and out there for the public, it's not something that's going to change. Certainly not at the cadence that the Battle for Azeroth APIs change. Hopefully maintenance won't be too terrible.
No old epic mounts (they will all be armored):
 Blizzard Entertainment
It is the current vendor mounts for 1.12. We aren't putting back the unarmored mounts. We just talked about this recently internally. We know some people are interested in them, but we don't want to put them in for a limited period of time, because we didn't want to influence people through their first leveling experience. Especially people coming back for the first time. We don't want people to feel like they have to rush. If you want to level slowly and enjoy the journey, you should. That's how I like to play--taking it slow, running every dungeon.
Old riding skills confirmed:
 Blizzard Entertainment
The modern riding system was introduced in one of the later 1.12 patches, and as we were discussing it, we felt this system was added to prepare the game for Burning Crusade, which had the ability to ride flying mounts.

For most of the history of WoW Classic, throughout 2004 and 2005, we had the older mount system. It just felt more authentic to that game, to use the older one instead of one that just laid the groundwork for another expansion.
Release dates for each phase decided on a per-phase basis:
 Blizzard Entertainment
Probably one-by-one, as Classic continues. We actually don't have them pinned down precisely yet. We're trying to figure it out as we go forward.

We want to take a look at the Classic community as it progresses through the content, and determining what seems reasonable.

teebling couchatron Default neofrag Brhule Shellzor Merode Syturio Scheyp FTHforever Cletus Vhenx Reimu
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Oh shit nice finds man, I will add these to the FAQ section tomorrow.

neofrag
Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

Isn't the graphics toggle just for ground texture or something? As in character models and spell particles are not affected?

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Nymis wrote:
5 years ago
Isn't the graphics toggle just for ground texture or something? As in character models and spell particles are not affected?
From the article and the screenshot yeah looks just like foliage etc. at the moment. I guess when beta comes out we'll have some more info on character models.

Teldrassil
donator Posts: 51
Night Elf
Hunter

I would love new character models, but to be honest, they've been talking about keeping the game as faithful as possible to how it was, and well, that doesn't include new character models. If they add the toggle that was in Modern WoW when they released the new models, that would work nicely.

But they mentioned someone about the game being simpler back then in the animation side of spells, and that's why they're going to be able to put a lot of people in the same server at the same time. So forget new animations.

My question would be if the new character models also impact the game in a resource way, even being client sided? I don't know.
It's not a big deal if they don't make the new models available to be honest. :)

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

It's peculiar they keep the old mount system, but the old mounts they don't want to have. I guess I can understand the "don't force people to level fast to get the mounts within Phase 1 frame" but still a peculiar approach. A bit of a Frankenstein approach to much of this, which is honestly what everyone should have expected.

All in all, I like these answers.

Warrior Protection
donator Posts: 22
Horde
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm not sure how the "old riding system" was any different, pls esplane

Warlock Affliction
donator Posts: 34
Orc
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Could someone explain no old epic mounts? Does that mean for instance no 'level 40 version' mounts without armor?

Stop poking me!
Rogue Combat
donator Posts: 117
Alliance
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Notfemmesbf wrote:
5 years ago
I'm not sure how the "old riding system" was any different, pls esplane
Back in the day training was cheap and mounts were expensive, thats what your getting. Training will be like 100g and mounts like 900g

Rogue Combat
donator Posts: 117
Alliance
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Brhule wrote:
5 years ago
Could someone explain no old epic mounts? Does that mean for instance no 'level 40 version' mounts without armor?
Before 1.4 the epic mounts had no armor, much like the winterspring saber.
Those mounts won't be available in classic.

Brhule teebling
Warlock Affliction
donator Posts: 34
Orc
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Instinctz wrote:
5 years ago
Brhule wrote:
5 years ago
Before 1.4 the epic mounts had no armor, much like the winterspring saber.
Those mounts won't be available in classic.
Thanks for clearing that up! I was a total noob in vanilla and never even got a level 40 mount :lol:

Stop poking me!
Warlock Affliction
donator Posts: 63
Orc
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

@Ravenheart You have misquoted the article. Please re-read the article and edit your post to correctly reflect it. You combined two totally different questions about two different APIs (game vs addon) into the same answer.

@teebling Please refer to the above statement in the article itself before updating any FAQs. This was grossly misquoted and represented as a single answer.

teebling
Blasted Lands
donator Posts: 32
Horde
Druid
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

agreeing with @Goetia , my shit gets regulary edited but this fake news can still spread. this dude has no idea what API and Addons are.

Mulgore
donator Posts: 4
Undead
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Glad the graphics toggle is still a thing.

Blasted Lands
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 33
Undead
Mage
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Goetia wrote:
5 years ago
@Ravenheart You have misquoted the article. Please re-read the article and edit your post to correctly reflect it. You combined two totally different questions about two different APIs (game vs addon) into the same answer.

@teebling Please refer to the above statement in the article itself before updating any FAQs. This was grossly misquoted and represented as a single answer.
It sounds to me that they are clearly talking about the API that has to do with gathering information about your character such as gear, mounts, boss kills, quests completed, achivements etcs. The kind of information you can get from the retail API. So I agree, very misleading.

Westfall
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 47
Alliance
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Would have loved AddOns at launch. I want to do every zones quest before moving on.

Guess I will have to backtrack after all.

donator Posts: 47
Human
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

The addon thing is huge, Im sure there will be a way for skilled addon creators to make addons during the beta though, or am I wrong?

My Paladin youtube channel containing leveling, gearing and general classic information:
JUDGEMENT
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 281
Human
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Judgement wrote:
5 years ago
The addon thing is huge, Im sure there will be a way for skilled addon creators to make addons during the beta though, or am I wrong?
only possible if they give the api before or in the beta. the rest would be a huge amount of testing with addons that worked with the legion client

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Rogue Combat
donator Posts: 4
Orc
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

IronBrutzler wrote:
5 years ago
Judgement wrote:
5 years ago
only possible if they give the api before or in the beta. the rest would be a huge amount of testing with addons that worked with the legion client
Someone better port Pitbull and Bartender on day one, the OCD demands a hyper-customized minimalistic UI at launch :lol:

Alterac Valley
Human
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Mobhealth and the Statusbar (where you would see the guilds and such because in vanilla you just see the name) thing is a must have for me. Omnicc would be cool too

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
The Barrens
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 61
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Thanks for the update, especially the graphic part =D

Gehennas EU PvP - Horde
<FIKA>
Hunter Beast Mastery
US Atiesh
donator Posts: 59
Night Elf
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I'm most looking forward to the no addons... :wink:

Selexin

No original unarmored epic mounts :cry:
Alterac Valley
Human
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Altoholic wrote:
5 years ago
I'm most looking forward to the no addons... :wink:
luckly we got the Legion Raid frames. otherwise it would have been a pain

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Forquilla
donator Posts:
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Some streamers in the beta are already using addons.

Ironforge
donator Posts: 12
Dwarf
Paladin
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Makes me laugh how nostalgia will make most of us refuse to play the game with anything but classic graphics on our (by that times standards) crazy gaming rigs :lol: . Just wont feel right playing it any other way for me :P .

Selexin