Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior

Hey guys.

How good is prot warrior in pvp in your opinion? I remember in tbc my warrior was a beast in 1v1 duels. But I guess in Classic it will be quite different without spell reflect and a bunch of other stuff. So, how does the idea of playing a shield smashing warrior pan out? Are there any recommended builds?

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

I can't really comment in any detail on this but of course they shine in flag carrying WSG with a pocket healer, throughout every level bracket.

Warrior Fury
donator Posts: 20
Horde
Warrior

It's definitely not ideal. You won't do the damage near other players and you also aren't really that much resilient than Arms or Fury. I remember being able to tank rogues pretty well but if they just bleed/poison you there isn't much you can do.

At lower brackets though you can make some serious twinks with the right items.

Dolamite
Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior

Bleeds? Poisons?
I aint rolling a dwarf for nothing

I allready figured they wouldnt be ideal, but I am curious what spectrum of suboptimal we are talking.

Warrior Fury
donator Posts: 20
Horde
Warrior

With shield slam scaling with your shield block value, if you can get enough block value, your shield slam will hit like a monster. Especially with the shield slam version we are getting.

Just like all Warriors you are gear dependent. But if you get the right gear set up, high block value, crit, and enough hit along with the right spec you can definitely be better than a lot. I think https://classic.wowhead.com/item=23040/ ... deflection is pretty important and that is off of sapphiron in naxx

Mages will still troll you though.

edit: I just found this video of a guy talking about PvP Prot

Rogue Combat
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Orc
Rogue

It was definitely a lot more viable in old school AV. However, with the patch we're getting, you really only need one tank in the entire 40 man pvp raid.

Prot warriors can also do well in WSG, but will always be subpar to the druid and paladin in almost every way.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage

I hope everyone on the Alliance rolls prot warriors for PvP. That kind of slaughter never gets boring.

Edit: The video is taken from the perspective of some guy hitting target dummies and tuned-down core hounds. No actual PvP. I don't think there are any videos of prot PvP from actual vanilla WoW and that should tell you something.

Dolamite
Our time will come.
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 176
Undead
Priest

Prot-PVP is viable as long as two requirements are fulfilled;

1. you like/enjoy watching people die a slow slow death from plague.
2. you don't like actively killing anyone.

Cletus
<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux
Stranglethorn Vale
donator Posts: 30
Orc
Warrior

My plan:
I will be leveling as Arms, focus on PVP and tanking dungeons. I will keep Arms for a while at 60, gearing up by tanking dungeons, doing some PVP and farming gold for epic mount. I will be swapping to prot when I have my epic mount, done some PVP and have gear enough for early raiding.

Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior

While it's a suboptimal build for PVP ( https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=21553/mortal-strike is too important imo because of the reliable debuff ) it can work if you farm only AV. Just spam 'heal me' in /say and only fight mobs like lieutenants and commanders.
Please don't use it in WSG or AB though, as it weakens your team.

If you want to gear up through pvp / tanking the good old 31/5/15 still works.

Shellzor teebling