View results
Poll  •  Offensive PVP
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 176
Undead
Priest

So I tried to play release today/this evening. While immediately being underwhelmed almost to the point of regretting logging on in the first place...

I did run around on my Priest, the "OG toon"l." (still Undead and kicking .)

It really got me thinking about how I can PVP and PVE at 60 without having to re-spec so much.

Smite Spec clamored into my memory. But I never tried it in Vanilla. By the time it had come along I had a fully geared alt-rogue and alt-warrior to run around when I felt the need to kill Alliance. (Sorry blue boys)

With the re-release of Classic, I dont want to HAVE to have an alt to PVP. (kill) I want to be able to heal decently in PVE to get access to the gear I'll need to win in PVP, especially solo-world. (May have a mage with me from time to time @cletus@ )

What are your thoughts on the smite spec as patched for Classic?

Does anyone have extensive experience?

Or am I doomed to farm and farm to pay for my re-specs? Lol

Cletus teebling
<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Shadow for PvP man, Holy for PvE. You’re sorted! Or just roll Holy all the time with a bit of spec into Holy Nova for AoE farm the heal exclusively in PvP.

As I’m sure you’re aware in Classic you can’t expect the same level of hybrid play as in retail. Hard to get a toon that won’t have to respec if you want to play super optimally in both pvp/pve.

Tirisfal Glades
Undead
Priest

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Shadow for PvP man, Holy for PvE. You’re sorted! Or just roll Holy all the time with a bit of spec into Holy Nova for AoE farm the heal exclusively in PvP.

As I’m sure you’re aware in Classic you can’t expect the same level of hybrid play as in retail. Hard to get a toon that won’t have to respec if you want to play super optimally in both pvp/pve.
Oh yeah, absolutely going in realistic with the specs. I bounced between Disc and Shadow for the majority of Vanilla and into TBC.

I never tried the smite build so I was looking for feedback on those that had. Still has a hefty gear requirement regardless.

teebling
<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux
Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior

For leveling sure go shadow. For PvP propably too.

For up to BWL / ZG gear I would use holy in pve (21 disc for spirit buff), then switch to 31 disc for the nice PI.

Dolamite
donator Posts: 1
Undead
Priest

on nostalrius when i rolled with my world pvp guild, i specced into smite/holy damage spec. it was awesome. my smites hit for quite a bit, holy nova did really well, and holy fire did great damage. the nice thing about it too was i could instantly switch over to healing when the moment required it and still heal very well. in shadow you were stuck in shadow form. yeah and of course you could leave shadow form and start healing but it costs mana to switch out and your healing is obviously not as powerful/efficient. you can go pretty far in the discipline tree and get improved POW and imp mana burn.

also, i played in large groups raiding alliance cities and towns, there was always a plan and a leader calling out shots (voroshilov of the red dawn). solo pvp it was definitely different gameplay and it was definitely harder.

now on retail i'm gonna be playing with Kor Kron Vanguard, which is the next evolved form of red dawn on nostalrius. i've been playing with them since elysium and we're super serious about destroying the alliance in glorious world pvp combat. for them i will definitely be rolling a priest to go holy dps spec.

i recommend trying it out if you're into pvp as a priest!

Dolamite teebling
Tirisfal Glades
Undead
Priest

Great experience and information! I am glad to hear that the smite spec was working as intended!! Thank you for the feedback

<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux
Tirisfal Glades
Undead
Priest

I actually put this question in r/ClassicWoW to get a wider net cast, while there were some stupid responses... I did get some decent perspective. (once I edited the original post to better convey my thoughts.) Figured I would put it in here in case anyone else wanted to get some of the insight or discussion that was had there.

I'm kind of thinking something like this for an odd hybrid: https://classicdb.ch/?talent#bxMusciMZZVMGdcdR

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/com ... _thoughts/

<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux