Warrior Fury
EU Nethergarde Keep
donator Posts: 12
Orc
Warrior

Just tried out a Hunter on Vanilla, to be honest it isn't as 'breezy' as people make out.

Sure, it's a simple rotation, HM/Auto/SS/Daze/AS, but still requires patience, doesn't at all feel like a fast levelling experience.

I actually found mage faster with the perks of food/water, but I suppose it's personal preference,

Sorry for the pointless input.

Goodneet Vienna

centurion FTHforever
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 281
Human
Paladin

Hunters are easy for brain afk farm. Mages do mostly AOE farm so you have to focus a little bit more but Hunters are mostly easier when it comes to farming for the most players

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Winterspring
EU Mirage Raceway
donator Posts: 35
Night Elf
Warrior

Personal preference plays a large part, and many classes are 'easy' for a given value of easy.

Hunters have a wide range of abilities at their disposal that makes constant and consistent grinding of mobs easy. You don't actually have to do much other than start shooting with your pet on auto-assist, and if things go south you have tools like dazes and feign death to help out. You have mend pet to quickly get your personal damage sponge up again fast so there's little downtime overall. Obviously this is the bare minimum of actual play, and you want to kill mobs faster you will use abilities etc and work through your mana pool, potentially pull a couple of mobs at once and take a few hits etc, it's worth considering any downtime created through health or mana recovery against the longer time to kill of the more laid back approach.

Paladins can get by with relatively little interaction as well, and in fact at lower levels you can't interact much even if you want to. Every 10 seconds you can judge and reseal and that's about as intense as Retribution gets. Protection AOE farming is more intensive, but in either scenario you're probably going to have downtime between pulls. It's only really half a joke that Paladin is the perfect class to play while "doing other stuff".

All classes tend to have some form of less cerebral grinding. Mages can spam frostbolt and then eat/drink. Warlocks can pet and wand. Shaman can windfury and auto-attack.

The reason Hunters (and Warlocks) stand out a bit is because the interval downtime is reduced.

teebling
Never stop never stopping.
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Hardest thing is the intuition of where your dead zone begins and ends and timing auto shots (without an addon).

bunkbed209
Rogue Assassination
donator Posts: 114
Horde
Warlock

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Hardest thing is the intuition of where your dead zone begins and ends and timing auto shots (without an addon).
Which comes with playing, to some faster than others but learning this wasn't particularly hard

Druid Balance
donator Posts: 111
Troll
Hunter

Having played mage to 60, hunter to 44 and all other classes to at least 20-30, I'd say hunters are the easiest in my opinion. Yes, mages are close but mages are much more limited by mana and have a lot of downtime. Hunter has almost no downtime, tools for great pulls and many 'fuck up' buttons (like feign death).

The only inconvenience I can think of is feeding pet and initial pet maintenance.

Currently playing Kegtek, troll hunter on Ten Storms EU
I used to play Warn, human mage on The Maelstrom EU <Ashbringer | Rachell's Angels | Entrophy | Relentless>
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 165
Orc
Warrior

SafetyFirst wrote:
5 years ago
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Which comes with playing, to some faster than others but learning this wasn't particularly hard
Count to almost three, bang, start moving, count to almost three, repeat.

I wouldn't say hunter is any mechanically less intensive than other classes, it just seems easier to get in the groove of your rotation. Combine that with the extremely low downtime and you have a character that's can grind for ages, which itself is conducive to faster levelling/more money.

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde

@Escalotes except different weapons have different attack speeds and some mobs have access to gap closers and other abilities which should change your rotation if you’re aware of it. I hate when people generalize. In the view of maximizing efficiency, Hunter is actually one of the more demanding classes in the game. Micro positional adjustments, dynamic rotations based on situation, pet micro and timing, quiver taking a bag slot forcing you to manage bags on the fly (which in itself, without addons, can require massive knowledge of trash vendor prices etc), and knowledge of mob stats to maximize potential when grinding is needed or warranted are just a few of the things that can greatly contribute to efficiency and separate good from great. Every class can be quite demanding depending on how far you want to push it.

Also, rotations should always be dynamic. Different situations require different approaches to maintain maximum efficiency, there is no best rotation for everything.

teebling bunkbed209 Sza Stka
Rogue Assassination
Horde
Warlock

Jpy wrote:
5 years ago
except different weapons have different attack speeds
The joys of Addons

I'm actually kinda looking forward to them being limited, I'm personally hoping for very limited Addons. Although I don't see AS addons not being a thing as it's pretty easy to do

Wetlands
donator Posts: 11
Troll
Hunter

Leveling as hunter i feel like has the added bonus of being able to control the open world really well. Not just against mobs but also players. I feel like I get popped more often leveling as a mage or warrior (for example) because of being empty on mana/health after killing things (whereas playing a hunter at worst your pet would be low HP, a lot of people just ignore it entirely)

a true master hunter will know the most effective ways to grief in open world combat with melee attacks (for the BM of course), stings, pet micro, and emote macros. I feel like the potential for hunter trolling is a huge draw factor for the class despite its supposed ineffectiveness in PvE past t2 and whatnot. Getting kited by a good hunter that knows how to zone and switch is EXTREMELY rage inducing and will make people want to avoid you in the open world (not to mention battlegrounds where hunters are obnoxious at best and a nightmare at worst)

If you factor in the time you spend dumpstering on priests/warlocks that would normally be able to camp your corpse I feel like it saves a lot of time compared to being a mage or something. You can also cut out a lot of time on the move getting in the habit of switching between your auras for that juicy instant cast movement speed indoors. Though I'm sure that isn't really news to anybody

teebling
Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 29
Human
Warrior

bunkbed209 wrote:
5 years ago
it isn't as 'breezy' as people make out.
A hunter is 10 times more adventagous in the open world than let's say a mage or any other class. Yes, mages make food/water but guess what a hunter can just as easily buy them.

To me it's night and day. When I play a hunter I am the most relaxed player in WoW. I control the envirtonment, I'm not afraid of aggroing mobs, I'm not afraid of mobs 3-4 levels higher than me. I'm not afraid of world pvp. But if you're a huntard who never uses macros or cool shit then it could be slightly harder. IF you click on buttons to control your pet you're a noob. IF you always keep your pet in defensive mode you're a noob.

PRO TIP: Make two macros and put them on mouse wheel (I don't have the macros with me, if you can't find it I can post it at home)

Macro 1: Attack with pet / Defensive Mode
Macro 2: Pet follow / Passive Mode

Put Macro 1 to MOUSE WHEEL UP
Put Macro 2 to MOUSE WHEEL DOWN

Go into key bindings and camera options change Zoom in to SHIFT-Mouse Wheel Up, Zoom out to SHIFT-Mouse Wheel Down.

Now you have the easiest way to control your pet. From then on you'll need to use shift to zoom in/out. It totally worths it to have 2 extra convenient key bindings.

Rogue Assassination
Horde
Warlock

Muhip wrote:
5 years ago
bunkbed209 wrote:
5 years ago
it isn't as 'breezy' as people make out.
A hunter is 10 times more adventagous in the open world than let's say a mage or any other class. Yes, mages make food/water but guess what a hunter can just as easily buy them.

To me it's night and day. When I play a hunter I am the most relaxed player in WoW. I control the envirtonment, I'm not afraid of aggroing mobs, I'm not afraid of mobs 3-4 levels higher than me. I'm not afraid of world pvp. But if you're a huntard who never uses macros or cool shit then it could be slightly harder. IF you click on buttons to control your pet you're a noob. IF you always keep your pet in defensive mode you're a noob.

PRO TIP: Make two macros and put them on mouse wheel (I don't have the macros with me, if you can't find it I can post it at home)

Macro 1: Attack with pet / Defensive Mode
Macro 2: Pet follow / Passive Mode

Put Macro 1 to MOUSE WHEEL UP
Put Macro 2 to MOUSE WHEEL DOWN

Go into key bindings and camera options change Zoom in to SHIFT-Mouse Wheel Up, Zoom out to SHIFT-Mouse Wheel Down.

Now you have the easiest way to control your pet. From then on you'll need to use shift to zoom in/out. It totally worths it to have 2 extra convenient key bindings.
To steal your post and to make it a little easier -- you can also benefit from this so why not.

/script if UnitExists("target") then if a==0 then PetAttack(target) a=1 else if UnitExists("pettarget") and UnitIsUnit("target", "pettarget") then PetFollow("Kng") a=0 else PetAttack(target) end;end; else PetFollow("Yaztip") a=0 end;

This script makes your pet attack your target if it currently isnt and follow you if it is. All in all it's a 1 button macro for pet attack/follow just make sure to set your pet to passive as a pet should almost always be.

Afaik the "Kng" and "Yaztip" should be replaced but the script seems to work regardless of changing that so whatever. I still suggest replacing it.

Alterac Valley
Human
Paladin

But this is not a normal makro or?

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Rogue Assassination
Horde
Warlock

IronBrutzler wrote:
5 years ago
But this is not a normal makro or?
It works exactly the same and isn't bannable or anything of the like.

Winterspring
donator Posts: 274
Horde

Also I am not sure about when they will add https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18703/ ... ified-leaf to the loot table. It could come with AV patch. Which is phase 3. In OG it was added in patch 1.4 (Wowpedia).

We will see when they add it to the loot tables.

Rogue Assassination
Horde
Warlock

s1atan wrote:
5 years ago
Also I am not sure about when they will add https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18703/ ... ified-leaf to the loot table. It could come with AV patch. Which is phase 3. In OG it was added in patch 1.4 (Wowpedia).

The creator of the warlock discord has a huge list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =857118419) of items for warlocks which lists their phase release based on their actual patch release (I believe) so perhaps you could check if the hunter Discord has something similar.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

SafetyFirst wrote:
5 years ago
The creator of the warlock discord
@Zephan :biggrin:

Alterac Valley
Human
Paladin

Raven wrote:
5 years ago
It works exactly the same and isn't bannable or anything of the like.
cool did not know that you could make that complex Macros.

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Winterspring
donator Posts: 274
Horde

Raven wrote:
5 years ago
s1atan wrote:
5 years ago

The creator of the warlock discord has a huge list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =857118419) of items for warlocks which lists their phase release based on their actual patch release (I believe) so perhaps you could check if the hunter Discord has something similar.
 Blizzard Entertainment
I'd expect 1.4 additions would be Phase 2; 1.5 additions would be Phase 3. In general, Phase 2 is 1.3-1.4, Phase 3 is 1.5-1.6, Phase 4 is 1.7-1.8, etc. There may be some exceptions I'm failing to recall, but that's the general structure.

Ion Hazzikostas' twitter.

https://twitter.com/WatcherDev/status/1 ... 9033328641
So https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18703/ ... ified-leaf should be added to the loot tables in Phase 2.

teebling
Rogue Assassination
Horde
Warlock

s1atan wrote:
5 years ago
So https://classic.wowhead.com/item=18703/ ... ified-leaf should be added to the loot tables in Phase 2.
Sounds fine, I see Phase 1 as the leveling phase and I would think most others will too. Leveling to 60, getting that engineering up and running a few MC clears if possible to get some gear ready for Phase 2.

Lok'delar releasing later gives you a nice thing to look forward to as well! I'll be crying as a warlock until Phase 3 :')

Burning Steppes
donator Posts: 6
Gnome
Warlock

Sup, I made said list, it is currently not fully working / up to date with the most recent info we got. I do plan on updating it in the near future.
However, I have updated the gearsheet to reflect the correct phases

Warrior Fury
EU Nethergarde Keep
donator Posts: 12
Orc
Warrior

Thanks guys. Informative discussion