Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 29
Human
Warrior

Humans have +5 to sword weapon skill. Gnomes don't.
Imagine they are both fury and dual wielding 1 handed swords...

1- In PVE how much %hit is the soft and hard cap for the Gnome?
2- In PVE how much %hit is the soft and hard cap for the HUMAN?
------
3- In PVP how much %hit is the soft and hard cap for the Gnome?
4- In PVP how much %hit is the soft and hard cap for the HUMAN?

Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 281
Human
Paladin

If i recall corectly you do not need hit in PvP, i mean not for the Players only the npcs in AV.

Edit:
Found this Reddit thread, seems most data comes from Pserver like most other things.

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
Loch modan
EU Razorgore
donator Posts: 188
Dwarf
Warrior

PvE human: 6% main hand, 25% off hand
PvE gnome: 8% main hand, 27% off hand

PvP human: 4% main hand, 23% off hand
PvP gnome: 5% main hand, 24% off hand

Notes:
Assuming you are hitting raid bosses in PvE and players on your level in PvE. Also assuming you have no other source of +weapon skill.
Main hand is soft cap, off hand is hard cap.
I have no idea whether or not its actually recommended to go for any cap in PvP. I have always just dicked around in PvP.
Weapon skills also effect stuff like parry, dodge and crit.

edit: corrected a mistake about glancing blows.

Muhip
Elwynn Forest
Human
Warrior

Samaraner wrote:
5 years ago
PvE human: 6% main hand, 25% off hand
PvE gnome: 8% main hand, 27% off hand

PvP human: 4% main hand, 23% off hand
PvP gnome: 5% main hand, 24% off hand

Notes:
Assuming you are hitting raid bosses in PvE and players on your level in PvE. Also assuming you have no other source of +weapon skill.
Main hand is soft cap, off hand is hard cap.
I have no idea whether or not its actually recommended to go for any cap in PvP. I have always just dicked around in PvP.
Weapon skills also effect stuff like parry, dodge, crit and glancing blows.
This was the answer I was looking for. %2 hit difference in PVE and %1 difference in PvP is good enough for me to roll Human.

I just wish humans had better animations... They jump like morons.

Edit: @Samaraner Can you also elaborate on how +5 weapon skill affects the reduced damage of glancing blows?

Loch modan
EU Razorgore
Dwarf
Warrior

Muhip wrote:
5 years ago
Edit: @Samaraner Can you also elaborate on how +5 weapon skill affects the reduced damage of glancing blows?
I was just about to look up the formula, but it explicitly stated that the glancing blow calculation ignores any excess weapon skill above level * 5. So that part I have to take back. The only actual effect it would have in that regard would be to make leveling your weapon skill easier.

Elwynn Forest
Human
Warrior

Samaraner wrote:
5 years ago
Muhip wrote:
5 years ago
I was just about to look up the formula, but it explicitly stated that the glancing blow calculation ignores any excess weapon skill above level * 5. So that part I have to take back. The only actual effect it would have in that regard would be to make leveling your weapon skill easier.
This guy thinks otherwise... Can't copy link here so i'll just type:
Youtube: [Guide] hit rating, hit cap, weapon skill & glancing blows in vanilla wow
Channel: Mowsen

He starts to talk about glancing blows after 7th minute.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

He claims:

Every melee class has %40 chance to get glancing blow and you can't change this.
Normally a glancing blow reduces your white damage by %30 but it can change with your weapon skill.
With the extra 5 weapon skill you'll get %20 reduced damage instead of %30.

FORMULA:

%2 * (Enemy Defense Skill - Your Weapon Skill)

For example Human in PVE Boss fight .......... %2 * (315-305) = %20 (Instead of normal %30)

Loch modan
EU Razorgore
Dwarf
Warrior

Sadly I cant watch the video right now with how bad the connection on this train is. But cross reading different sources make it seem like prior to 2.X weapon skills did not affect crits but glancing blow damage. But its all very muddy, so I am not really sure about anything at this point.