Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share with you my all-time favourite web tool for vanilla wow (in case you haven't heard of it yet): Wyri Maps: Vanilla.

This dude has taken the highest-resolution minimap files from the game client and stitched them together to produce a world map of vanilla that you can navigate as if you were using Google Maps. You can zoom in and out, pan from side to side etc. and the level of detail is amazing.

I wish those endless profession 1-300 and levelling guides would use this tool more often as I think it is far more accurate and representative of the actual terrain than the world map files themselves.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the 'static map' generator working for some reason, so I just use it by navigating somewhere and then taking a screenshot, which isn't ideal but does the trick.

It's all open source and up on Github too which is great.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Jpy Cowyousaid Escalotes Goetia Vemp Rootdancer Sojiro84 Merode centurion
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Also! Any developers out there think they could get this up and running on barrens chat? Would be kind of cool to add pins for all the flight points and when hovered over show the other flight point connections + price @ neutral reputation/filterable by horde/alliance etc as a tool for the site.

Kind of like what this guy has done but interactive:

SpoilerShow

EDIT: I managed to get an embedded version working offline but it returns error 500 (server error) on anything but the default map. What a shame! I've emailed the creator.

Cowyousaid
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 165
Orc
Warrior

Somebody needs to get on combining this with data from Gatherer!

teebling Goetia
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Escalotes wrote:
5 years ago
:eek: now THAT'S an idea

Escalotes
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 231
Horde

WTB street view.

Merode Escalotes res
Rogue Combat
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Orc
Rogue

Wow, that's fun! Thanks!

Western Plaguelands
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 12

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Escalotes wrote:
5 years ago
:eek: now THAT'S an idea
Why not already throw in pfQuest while we're at it. Search for anything and it shows where it is located. Much sexiness. Very nice.

Druid Balance
donator Posts: 111
Troll
Hunter

That's really cool. I never realized SW had harbor in Vanilla, just blocked off. I though there was nothing behind these gates. I wonder if it's possible to get there somehow.

Currently playing Kegtek, troll hunter on Ten Storms EU
I used to play Warn, human mage on The Maelstrom EU <Ashbringer | Rachell's Angels | Entrophy | Relentless>
US Smolderweb
donator Posts: 165
Orc
Warrior

Merode wrote:
5 years ago
That's really cool. I never realized SW had harbor in Vanilla, just blocked off. I though there was nothing behind these gates. I wonder if it's possible to get there somehow.
IIRC there's an invisible wall so you can't just go down to Western Elwynn and swim up to it. It's been 9 years since I've tested that though so might be wrong.

Mulgore
donator Posts: 4
Horde
Paladin

Merode wrote:
5 years ago
The linked map is from the minimap tiles from Wrath. Hence why it has Stormwind Harbor, Deathknight starting area aftermath, shaper's terrace? in Un'Goro, as well as Mudsprocket from TBC.

There was Newman's Landing in the area near what eventually became the harbor.

Druid Balance
donator Posts: 111
Troll
Hunter

Buki wrote:
5 years ago
Merode wrote:
5 years ago
The linked map is from the minimap tiles from Wrath. Hence why it has Stormwind Harbor, Deathknight starting area aftermath, shaper's terrace? in Un'Goro, as well as Mudsprocket from TBC.

There was Newman's Landing in the area near what eventually became the harbor.
You are right! I must be blind. That's a shame, I was thinking it was authentic vanilla WoW map. :sad:

Currently playing Kegtek, troll hunter on Ten Storms EU
I used to play Warn, human mage on The Maelstrom EU <Ashbringer | Rachell's Angels | Entrophy | Relentless>
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 83
Human
Paladin

Newman's Landing is to the left of Dun Morogh and still in the game to this day. It can be seen on the map if you zoom in to that location.

There's an incredibly inaccurate rumor that this is the place players "spawned" into for a split second when creating their character, but that is untrue and quite literally makes zero sense from a technical perspective. If you were a character loading into the Kalimdor map, why on earth would your PC be forced to load a chunk of a different continent map (and load into a different server since continents are instantiated), and then somehow then be forced to load an entire different chunk, say, Valley of Trials in Durotar.... for... what benefit? There is none. It makes 0 technical sense and I think in one of the Q&As I saw a Blizzard employee finally say it was just a random area the creators made finally putting the rumor to rest... yet people still circulate it. :mad:

teebling
Undercity
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 2
Troll
Rogue

Hey ya'll WyriMaps maintainer WyriHaximus here,

Love to see the great ideas you lot are having, some of those I'm already working on getting into WyriMaps. But since it's enough work to get that onto a map for the current expansion I gladly help you on your way doing it for classic.

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
This dude has taken the highest-resolution minimap files from the game client and stitched them together to produce a world map of vanilla that you can navigate as if you were using Google Maps. You can zoom in and out, pan from side to side etc. and the level of detail is amazing.
It could get even better, in the last expansion Blizzard doubled the resolution of most minimaps so I'm hoping they will do the same for the Classic minimaps.
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
I wish those endless profession 1-300 and levelling guides would use this tool more often as I think it is far more accurate and representative of the actual terrain than the world map files themselves.
Well I am working on a tool to embed maps on sites: https://www.wyrimaps.net/embed it has a long way to go. But the biggest challenge is to translate ingame coords per son into world map coords to make it more easily workable.
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Unfortunately I can't seem to get the 'static map' generator working for some reason, so I just use it by navigating somewhere and then taking a screenshot, which isn't ideal but does the trick.
Yeah sorry about that just fixed it, here is a 5000x5000 pixel map with Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms from WoTLK tiles (@Buki is totally right on this):

(Click here for the full version.)

koerous teebling Henhouse Ravenheart
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

@WyriHaximus great work on the maps my friend - I thought you’d stopped developing after I saw your github! Awesome to hear you have future plans re: double res minimap files (this would be so cool and also quite possible seeing as the 1.13 client is going to be ‘newer’).

Thanks also for fixing the static map generator/embed - this is going to be very useful indeed. With the embed thing - is it possible to add in extra leaflet.js API commands like lines, polygons, markers/pins etc? I would love to be able to show someone where mankrik’s wife is by embedding a map with a pin! (life goals)

One last thing - any chance you have tiles for the 1.12 client as opposed to the WOTLK ones currently in place for the vanilla map?

Cheers

Undercity
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 2
Troll
Rogue

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
@WyriHaximus great work on the maps my friend - I thought you’d stopped developing after I saw your github! Awesome to hear you have future plans re: double res minimap files (this would be so cool and also quite possible seeing as the 1.13 client is going to be ‘newer’).
Thanks! Yeah been working torwards those features for a while not. There are two paths in doing that, either do everything by hand, or use datamine the client, currently working my way through the latter.
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Thanks also for fixing the static map generator/embed - this is going to be very useful indeed. With the embed thing - is it possible to add in extra leaflet.js API commands like lines, polygons, markers/pins etc? I would love to be able to show someone where mankrik’s wife is by embedding a map with a pin! (life goals)
Not yet, the site has a WIP point editor when you login but it doesn't do more then placing points. Also you mentioned a 500 error when embedding, could you email me the details?
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
One last thing - any chance you have tiles for the 1.12 client as opposed to the WOTLK ones currently in place for the vanilla map?
Sorry don't have those, could check the classic demo client I still have installed but doubt everything will be in there

Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 281
Human
Paladin

Really great project and hopefully will be expanded in the future

My Classic Chars:
Manofwar
Kampfzwerg
Mojo
donator Posts: 14
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hey guys,

Stumbled upon your site whilst looking for some bits and I came across this old post.

Not sure if you ever completed this project or have a new solution but I'm hoping to have something close to your requirements (if they still exist :)) available soon.

I'm working on a new map for my site over at https://gamermaps.com and like I say I'd be happy to work with you guys if you wanted something embedable, my current focus is WoW Classic.

I have extracted the same map tiles as the original post and have also turned them into an interactive map, however I've created a process to plumb in data from wowhead making it a whole load more useful.

This is an sample of what I'm planning to offer initially but plan to expand.

Apologies if this is no longer required, its still nice to be here :)

Cheers
-Xaiin

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

@Xaiin looks fantastic mate, you use wowhead’s API to pull the data? Very cool extension to functionality already offered out there. Kind of looks like a web version of Gatherer but with added resources too. Excellent work.

4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
4 years ago
@Xaiin looks fantastic mate, you use wowhead’s API to pull the data? Very cool extension to functionality already offered out there. Kind of looks like a web version of Gatherer but with added resources too. Excellent work.
Thank you, yeh using wowheads data. Tricky part is getting the scale of each sub zone to be reflected on the main map, certainly going to need soem filters :)

teebling
Warrior Fury
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 31
Human
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

They made GOOGLE MAPS in WORLD OF WARCRAFT?

"Einstein would turn over in his grave;
Not only does God play dice,
But the dice are loaded."

- Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Looking God In The Eye"
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Midoo wrote:
4 years ago
They made GOOGLE MAPS in WORLD OF WARCRAFT?
I thought it seemed like a good idea, I'm also putting in tools to help people plot and share farming routes etc,maybe do some stuff with quests to, not really sure yet.

Warrior Fury
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 31
Human
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

It's actually a phenomenal idea. Once I start leveling gathering professions I don't know if I'll be able to do it without this anymore.

"Einstein would turn over in his grave;
Not only does God play dice,
But the dice are loaded."

- Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Looking God In The Eye"
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Midoo wrote:
4 years ago
It's actually a phenomenal idea. Once I start leveling gathering professions I don't know if I'll be able to do it without this anymore.
Hah yes, I thought I hadn't seen it done anywhere before, will release Kalimdor soon.

Midoo
Rogue Subtlety
EU Gehennas
donator Posts: 40
Troll
Priest
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Relik wrote:
5 years ago
WTB street view.
This should actually be technically possible. That would be awesome!

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

res wrote:
4 years ago
Relik wrote:
5 years ago
WTB street view.
This should actually be technically possible. That would be awesome!
Possible with leaflet.js, the tech is there @Xaiin - I believe Wyri even started work on that (see his github). Just need an addon or something to automate the photography from characters in-game.