Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Blizzard Entertainment
Since we broke down the six phases of content that we’ll be rolling out for Classic, we’ve heard the increase in requests for PvP details so we wanted to get you up to speed on our plans there.

As was the case when World of Warcraft originally launched in 2004, there won’t be a formal PvP system in WoW Classic at the outset. You’ll still be able to PvP, of course, and there will be no Dishonorable Kills, so you’ll be free to repeatedly hunt down every player and NPC in, say, Stranglethorn Vale to your stealthy heart’s content.

That’ll change once phase 2 rolls around and we add the Honor System, which will introduce Honorable Kills, Dishonorable Kills, and PvP Rank Rewards. The items you earn from the PvP Rank Rewards will be the versions from patch 1.12. Keep in mind though, just as it did originally, it will require a substantial time investment to rank up through the Honor System. For those interested in the Rank Rewards, earning epic gear will require consistent dedication over a long period of time as a top contributor on your realm. We don’t expect to see many people running around with these items early on, but we’re certain Hillsbrad Foothills will still see its fair share of action!

In the third phase, we’ll introduce the first Battlegrounds: Alterac Valley (version 1.12 30) and Warsong Gulch, alongside with their associated vendors. One thing to note is that there were a couple of updates to these vendors over the course of the original patch releases, so some items won’t be available right away. For example, the Spell Penetration trinkets available from the Warsong Gulch vendor weren’t introduced until Patch 1.9, so we’re currently thinking that we’ll add these in phase 5.

The Arathi Basin Battleground will follow in phase 4, along with its specific vendor. It’ll be interesting to see how many people stay behind to guard the flag. :wink:

Finally, in phase 6, we’ll have the world PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands, which will come out at the same time as Naxxramas.

Here’s what the PvP content looks like mapped to the phases we recently posted about:

Phase 1 (WoW Classic Launch)

• You can PvP one another in the world, but there is no tracking, and no formal rewards for doing so.

Phase 2

• Honor System (including Dishonorable Kills)
  • PvP Rank Rewards

Phase 3

• Alterac Valley (version 1.12 30)
  • Warsong Gulch

Phase 4

• Arathi Basin

Phase 6

• World PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands

As we mentioned before, we haven’t yet determined exactly when each of the content phases will occur but we’ll keep you updated as they draw closer.

We’re here reading what you have to say, so we wanted to thank all of you for your feedback and discussions about Classic. Keep it going!
No disonobruh kills until phase 2, the authenticity is getting scary!
It’ll be interesting to see how many people stay behind to guard the flag
:lol:

Thunder Bluff
donator Posts: 25
Horde
Hunter

Blizzard Entertainment
Keep in mind though, just as it did originally, it will require a substantial time investment to rank up through the Honor System.
This is pretty awesome. I never got to experience the grind and rarity of the ranked gear system, and I will probably never get my hands on any of it, but I do love that they're not shying away from preserving game mechanics that I still hear people complain about today.

teebling Ravenheart
Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
donator Posts: 17
Orc
Warlock

Is it summer yet? ><

woodqawk
Teldrassil
donator Posts: 24
Night Elf
Druid

This is good stuff, I can't wait!

Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

There's a hotfix with my guild's name on it.

teebling FTHforever Stka Ravenheart Dolamite
Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 83
Human
Paladin

I guess this confirms there won't be any consideration to change the way the honor system works. At least, I guess not in the launch.

Nymis
Rogue Combat
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Orc
Rogue

Cool. Looks like I'll be leveling alts until phase 2. I love world PvP, but I need it to count for something if I'm gonna do it a bunch. I'm sure I'll still be out there at TM looking for a scrum, but I can't imagine myself purposely killing lowbies just because the DK's don't count yet. To each their own!

Warlock Affliction
donator Posts: 63
Orc
Warlock

As someone who loved roaming world pvp in the early days of vanilla, but never was really interested in the honor grind, I'm thrilled to see world pvp will be alive and well for the first couple of phases of classic. I know some people, particularly from private servers, are not happy with the battlegrounds being gated, but having a thriving world pvp scene will be incredibly fun, min/max be damned.

Ravenheart
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 223
Undead
Rogue

Pretty good news overall. Glad to see they haven't diminished the pvp grind.

Alterac Valley
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 148
Orc
Warrior

Just remembered that back in Vanilla we kinda had ranks (but without rewards back then) and no BGs to grind for them...
So the people who aimed for high warlord had to do a lot of blackrock / tarrens mill ganking to get their ranks up...without anything to look out at that time. :ugeek:

Ravenheart
Rogue Combat
US Westfall
Orc
Rogue

couchatron wrote:
5 years ago
Cool. Looks like I'll be leveling alts until phase 2. I love world PvP, but I need it to count for something if I'm gonna do it a bunch. I'm sure I'll still be out there at TM looking for a scrum, but I can't imagine myself purposely killing lowbies just because the DK's don't count yet. To each their own!
Calling myself out here. Apparently, DHK's didn't work with killing low-level characters. Why do I remember this?! Is this like the Bernstein/Berenstain Bears conundrum?! AM I GOING CRAZY?!

donator Posts: 5
Troll
Shaman

This is looking authentic, I think it's good. It remains to be seen how it will play out.

donator Posts: 12
Orc
Rogue

Phase 2 will be the most epic period of classic wow

Rogue Combat
US Westfall
Orc
Rogue

rokman wrote:
5 years ago
Phase 2 will be the most epic period of classic wow
It will be absolute madness. I cannot wait. (but I must)

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
The items you earn from the PvP Rank Rewards will be the versions from patch 1.12.
This is the only possible draw back from this otherwise great announcement, as Esfand discussed in his video about this announcement - the 1.12 PvP Rank Rewards are significantly stronger than the Raid content available for the Phase 2 & 3. It's not a huge problem, but it may have an impact.

Glad they are staggering release of PvP Honor and BG content, smart move.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Priest Shadow
donator Posts: 17
Priest

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
... but we’re certain Hillsbrad Foothills will still see its fair share of action!
I just hope that they don´t find any reason to shard this or any other world PVP scenario.

Classic team is delivering. Cant wait !

couchatron
Rogue Assassination
US Westfall
donator Posts: 81
Human
Rogue

Glad to finally have this confirmed. It's been a contentious detail for quite some time!

Looking forward to the old school PvP action in Tarran Mill!

Ravenheart
Warlock Affliction
US Bigglesworth
donator Posts: 146
Alliance
Hunter

This is pretty much how I remember it being in retail. I remember really not liking the switch from phase 2 to 3 and beyond. You get tons of world PvP action with phase 2 (the good old times -- hillsbrad) & then suddenly all those players dissappear into instanced BGs from phase 3 and beyond. It's too bad they don't just stick with phase 2 and scrap BGs. Game was a lot more fun when it was only wpvp.

Ravenheart
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman

I'm actually kinda jazzed about the pre-honor system period. Kinda neat that entire areas would become warzones and people would just fight for the hell of it.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Priest Holy
donator Posts: 106
Alliance
Priest

I really hope I'm not still levelling my main during Phase 2.

Human Priest
<Pertento> [EU-PvP]

Westfall
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 47
Alliance
Hunter

I myself will be playing on a RP-PvE server. On the one hand, I will be missing on the amazing World-PvP, but on the other hand, I can casually level without people killing me for no reason.

I have lived on a PvP server during vanilla and it was a pretty frustrating experience leveling that way. Off course, today, I would look at it in a different light since we get to relive it and I wouldn't be as frustrated about being killed this time since we get a one-time chance to relive it all.

That said, going for a RP-PvE server since I think the community there will be more mature and it is fun seeing people over the world role-playing. The world feels more alive on it.

Ravenheart
Deleted User 628
donator Posts:
Deleted User 628

Damn, I was almost sure to roll on a PvE server, but with the Honor System being released prior to battlegrounds it's tempting to roll on a PvP server and join some epic world PvP battles - this will also give players on PvP servers a good headstart regarding PvP gear.

On the other hand - I know I would ultimately regret playing on a PvP server once players run around with rank 14 or Naxxramas gear trying to make other people's lifes miserable.

Decisions, decisions...

Sojiro84 wrote:
5 years ago
(...) it is fun seeing people over the world role-playing (...)
Just watching - or actively participating?

Westfall
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 47
Alliance
Hunter

Synergy wrote:
5 years ago
Just watching - or actively participating?
Most likely just watching them roleplay but, if they start to roleplay with me, I will roleplay back off course. Got to respect the rules!

Hunter Marksman
donator Posts: 18
Night Elf
Hunter

This is great news

Ishnu-alah. Elune light your path.
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 30
Undead

Great plan overall.

Just have to hope you end up on a pretty even server otherwise you will cry all the tears you have.

War / Pal / Mage / Druid