Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 29
Troll
Hunter

How much gold will I need to respec in Classic? Or is this feature even going to be available?

Also what about xp locks for twinking - is this going to be a thing?

Rogue Assassination
US Westfall
donator Posts: 81
Human
Rogue

It varied by how many times you respec. IIRC 1g/5g/10g/15g/20g/etc till you hit 50g. Then it has a decay of 5g per week or month that it isn't used, forget which. Will only reduce down to a minimum of 15g however. Pick your talents wisely when levelling tldr.

couchatron Quillboar
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid

Yeh try to plan out a leveling build, then a lvl 60 build so you don't have to respec much, as it is very costly to be indecisive.

Dolamite
Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman

Not gonna lie, if Blizzard changes anything, it would be respec costs. LIke I can see them capping it at 20 or 30g.

couchatron Sauva
Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Eastern Plaguelands
donator Posts: 10
Horde
Priest

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Not gonna lie, if Blizzard changes anything, it would be respec costs. LIke I can see them capping it at 20 or 30g.
There's so much more potential stuff to change, a lot of changes you see on private servers are fairly popular even in the #nochanges community. Things like quest loot sharing and dynamic respawn in throttled starter zones aren't trivial things to consider. Additionally removing things like booty bay safe spots and certain bugs/looting glitches to reduce the number of GMs needed may happen.

However I think respecs have to be 50 gold to make people commit to pve or pvp more intensely when they respec. Respec costs and mount are one of the few ways to sink gold out of the economy in classic and inflation will get bad without it, especially if the mara/dm/strath raw gold farms aren't patched. Specs are such a huge sidegrade to power you should have to invest a lot of resources into them. It also makes the game more strategic for guild event planning when changing to raid spec and back is 4000 gold for a 40 man. It's an inconvenience but an important and good one for the balance of the game.

Cletus mwaf
Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Not to de-rail the thread, but if I had to name 3 changes that I'm willing to bet Blizzard would do:

1. Respec costs
2. Guild banks
3. A refund talent points button before you lock it in (+the ability to lock-in your talents), instead of mis-clicking ruining your whole spec

Also, and maybe this is a stretch, I think you could argue that high respec costs are a tax on players learning the game. Like, first off, if I'm designing an MMO RPG right now, I think people being able to change their spec/playstyle with either no or little cost is a good thing. But also, I'm a player who's played a lot of private servers and know a lot about specs and how to play. Someone who's not played since 2005 or never played at all will need more room to experiment and try things and mess up. They will pay a lot of gold for that learning experience that I won't have to.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Not to de-rail the thread, but if I had to name 3 changes that I'm willing to bet Blizzard would do:

1. Respec costs
2. Guild banks
3. A refund talent points button before you lock it in (+the ability to lock-in your talents), instead of mis-clicking ruining your whole spec

Also, and maybe this is a stretch, I think you could argue that high respec costs are a tax on players learning the game. Like, first off, if I'm designing an MMO RPG right now, I think people being able to change their spec/playstyle with either no or little cost is a good thing. But also, I'm a player who's played a lot of private servers and know a lot about specs and how to play. Someone who's not played since 2005 or never played at all will need more room to experiment and try things and mess up. They will pay a lot of gold for that learning experience that I won't have to.
As taxing as respect costs may be, I feel that it helps build personality/identity of a character. Making mistakes is a part of finding out how you really want your character to be (oddly like real life) which is part of what made this game so addictive to begin with. Making things easier leads to people staying in the cities when they would otherwise have to be out farming stuff for gold (oddly like real life).
If you want to build a successful MMO RPG I would suggest making as close to real life as possible.

Our time will come.
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 176
Undead
Priest

Cletus wrote:
5 years ago
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago

1. Respec costs
2. Guild banks

As taxing as respect costs may be, I feel that it helps build personality/identity of a character. Making mistakes is a part of finding out how you really want your character to be (oddly like real life) which is part of what made this game so addictive to begin with. Making things easier leads to people staying in the cities when they would otherwise have to be out farming stuff for gold (oddly like real life).
If you want to build a successful MMO RPG I would suggest making as close to real life as possible.
On top of all that character identity stuff that makes sense, Cletus just really likes giving out ZJs in Undercity, by the Roach vendor..

Cletus
<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux
Tirisfal Glades
Undead
Mage

Dolamite wrote:
5 years ago

On top of all that character identity stuff that makes sense, Cletus just really likes giving out ZJs in Undercity, by the Roach vendor..
First off, my business and hobbies may be one in the same but I WILL have my 40 and 60 mounts.
Second off, if you have to ask what a ZJ is.....

Our time will come.
Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Cletus wrote:
5 years ago
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago

1. Respec costs
2. Guild banks

I agree that it's an important process for learning the game and building your character. But it shouldn't bankrupt someone. More to the point, if you want people to be able to experiment and find their favorite style of play, then having lower costs to respec should open the door for that. Lowering respec costs does not make the game easier. At the same time, being stuck a spec you don't want to play because you can't afford to pay for it doesn't make for meaningful challenge, it's just tedium.

Tedium does not equal challenge.

Rogue Combat
US Westfall
donator Posts: 211
Orc
Rogue

I always wanted them to do a scaling respec cost system based on your level.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 60
Horde
Warrior

50g is easy enough to make that it will not bankrupt anyone who plays enough to need to respec often. That said I agree with Gensei's list

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago

1. Respec costs
2. Guild banks
I have advocated fiercely for guild banks in the official forums and view it as an essential addition if they are going to enforce their anti-account sharing policy. (3) is possible through current addons so I don't see it as even a real change just a ui/system upgrade.

The real problem with (1) in vanilla is that it would/could encourage per boss respec'ing. I would advocate that all respecs should be free one time per hour in major cities with an option to pay the original costs if you respec more often than that. I would also advocate that entering into an instance should trigger that 1 hour free cool down.

At the end of the day the free respec cool down is not needed and I'd be fine if they were just free, but I can see the arguments against just free or very low costs respecs and this is a proposed solution.

Wrekk
Guildlead: Epoch of Thought | Vanilla Thunderfury Warrior | Maintank/Father/Husband/Disabled Vet
Twitter:The_Lne Twitch: The_Lne Bnet: Lne#1326
Guild site: https://www.epochofthought.com/ | Guild Discord:https://discord.gg/UqAVjJT
Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
donator Posts: 17
Orc
Warlock

Quillboar wrote:
5 years ago

It's been a while, so I might be wrong, but I don't think BGs awarded XP back in vanilla. So you shouldn't have any worries about thinking. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Noish wrote:
5 years ago
Quillboar wrote:
5 years ago

It's been a while, so I might be wrong, but I don't think BGs awarded XP back in vanilla. So you shouldn't have any worries about thinking. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
You’re correct friend. I think our spiny friend here is more worried about overshooting it by accident in the pursuit of twink items - definitely a worry for me as well seeing as I want a rogue twink.

Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
donator Posts: 17
Orc
Warlock

teebling wrote:
5 years ago

You’re correct friend. I think our spiny friend here is more worried about overshooting it by accident in the pursuit of twink items - definitely a worry for me as well seeing as I want a rogue twink.
Ah that makes sense. Well good luck to you both in your pursuits! I'm not sure if I'll have a twink yet... Time will tell.

Rogue Assassination
US Westfall
donator Posts: 81
Human
Rogue

Noish wrote:
5 years ago
Quillboar wrote:
5 years ago

When running dungeons, say like Deadmines, people run into no longer being able to do the dungeons as it would over-level them.

I personally don't want XP locking, but I can see why it was implemented.

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
That’s actually a big economical change for a server.

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid

Jpy wrote:
5 years ago
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Yeh, you're right. As a typically hybrid player (Druid main, shaman alt) I would love to see dual-spec or lower respec cap, but I don't see it happening. It just means it's much easier to farm/switch specs for the benefit of making more gold, which drives prices up blah blah.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Tirisfal Glades
Undead
Mage

Quillboar wrote:
5 years ago
How much gold will I need to respec in Classic? Or is this feature even going to be available?
Gamora: Did you respec?
Thanos: Yes
Gamora: What did it cost?
Thanos: Everything...

Selexin teebling
Our time will come.
Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Jpy wrote:
5 years ago
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
This might be provocative, but what does that actually matter? Like I know that it means that inflation might move a bit quicker. But there's going to be a lot of things different. Hell, with the game knowledge of players now, people probably spend gold far more efficiently and that has a net effect of increasing inflation compared to vanilla in that people know what and what not to spend money on. That's a far bigger change in the economy than change in respec costs, and I don't think changing respec costs changes all that much.

Priest Holy
donator Posts: 106
Alliance
Priest

I don't mind either way. I know that's a bit of a cop out, perhaps selfish answer, but I intend to do some research so hopefully I won't spend much gold/time re-speccing.

I understand both sides though. More cost effective re-speccing will allow for experimenting with builds; however, it would also mean there's less 'set in stone' class identity with each character, as they can switch nearly on a whim.

Human Priest
<Pertento> [EU-PvP]

Hunter Beast Mastery
donator Posts: 33
Night Elf
Hunter

Honestly I don't really care, since I'm going to be maining a huntard and not respeccing often, but I can see why people might want cheaper respec or dual specialitzation. I don't see any negatives for them except the "but muh immersion". After all, people is going to be changing gear all the time and respeccing too, and the most important thing about immersion is seeing always the same dudes in your server, I don't think the spec matters lmao.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
This might be provocative, but what does that actually matter? Like I know that it means that inflation might move a bit quicker. But there's going to be a lot of things different. Hell, with the game knowledge of players now, people probably spend gold far more efficiently and that has a net effect of increasing inflation compared to vanilla in that people know what and what not to spend money on. That's a far bigger change in the economy than change in respec costs, and I don't think changing respec costs changes all that much.
I think this assumption shouldn't be made.

You say that people have more game knowledge now but we really don't know if that's the case. In fact, from what I've seen on my travels over the last year, a lot of the authentic data and knowledge about Classic has been lost and replaced with private server experience.

Private servers are emulations and also vary greatly from one place to the next. Hit points and spawn rates are different. Boss mechanics are simulated. 'Farming' exploits like DM Tribute solo are possible on one realm but not another.

If anything, sure, players will have better access to collective knowledge through improved web tools, searches and websites. But will they have a greater knowledge of how things actually play out - like real experience? - I don't think so.

It will take a while before that kicks in. People back then had first-rate experience of playing vanilla wow. We're just getting started tbh and that won't affect the economy for a while.

Reducing the costs of regular gold sinks is never a good idea in any virtual economy either.

Selexin kazabodoo
Shaman Restoration
donator Posts: 24
Horde
Shaman

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
SpoilerShow
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Jpy wrote:
5 years ago
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Hell, with the game knowledge of players now, people probably spend gold far more efficiently and that has a net effect of increasing inflation compared to vanilla in that people know what and what not to spend money on. That's a far bigger change in the economy than change in respec costs, and I don't think changing respec costs changes all that much.
I think this assumption shouldn't be made.

You say that people have more game knowledge now but we really don't know if that's the case. In fact, from what I've seen on my travels over the last year, a lot of the authentic data and knowledge about Classic has been lost and replaced with private server experience.

Private servers are emulations and also vary greatly from one place to the next. Hit points and spawn rates are different. Boss mechanics are simulated. 'Farming' exploits like DM Tribute solo are possible on one realm but not another.

If anything, sure, players will have better access to collective knowledge through improved web tools, searches and websites. But will they have a greater knowledge of how things actually play out - like real experience? - I don't think so.

It will take a while before that kicks in. People back then had first-rate experience of playing vanilla wow. We're just getting started tbh and that won't affect the economy for a while.

Reducing the costs of regular gold sinks is never a good idea in any virtual economy either.
I agree with you, the fact that private servers have a way bigger population than Classic will have alone is going to have a big impact on the economy. Also the rate of casuals/hardcore players is going to play a big role, a high ratio of hardcore players for example will result in a high demand for consumables/herbs etc.

Selexin