Alterac Mountains
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 4
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Hi! Love the guide! I’m currently running 11/40/0 with 2/2 guardian, 2/2 enhancing totems, and 2h specialization simply for versatility. My guild is actually considering letting me tank some MC, and I was looking to get some feedback on what I should switch out of in order to get 3/3 elemental warding. I’m strongly considering taking the three talent points from 2h specialization and going 3/5 weapon mastery.

My reasoning behind keeping guardian totems is that I want to take as little damage as possible so that I am invited to tank again, I don’t foresee having threat issues because I will not be main tanking, and I also have Hand of Edward the Odd as my weapon, which is fast, hits relatively hard, and the proc will be used to induce even more threat (not to mention the increased spell dmg to es/fs due to the added int!). Thanks in advance!

Alterac Mountains
US Fairbanks
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I would go from 5/5 weapon mastery to 3/5*

Swamp of Sorrows
donator Posts: 9
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

This is a truly excellent Guide. Many thanks. I did alot of Shammy tanking years ago and it was one of the single most fun experiences I've ever had. Glad to see word is out!

Shaman Enhancement
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 3
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Very good guide, I've used it numerous times to elaborate my own opinion on Shaman Tanking.

Right now I'm RL and MT in 3rd static of my guild in MC, 5/10. Going pretty well, my overall effective HP is combarable to warriors in my static.
Only real problem on most bosses is lack of "oh shi..." button while warriors have number of those.

Classic is all about experiments, after all.
Thanks for you guide and having unpopular opinion while using facts to your defense, not concepts.

Perdition
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
You don't know game if you don't know your class.
Shaman Enhancement
EU Wyrmthalak
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

By the way, It would be really great if you could make a BIS phase gear w/o PVP gear, simply because it's much harder to get then most of raid epics. I see it on phase 2 and 3, but not on later ones.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Badlands
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 367
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

@TheGreatShambino For new shaman tank players looking to raid tank, I recommend incremental steps forwards, start with off-tanking on easy/quick bosses and progressively go for main-tanking. As far as talents, judging by what you said I am think this https://classicdb.ch/?talent#hiczZVi0dExut it's not too mechanically demanding or gear dependant. The moment you're more conformable with shaman raid tanking but need more threat, float the idea of having a resto shaman in the group to place down improved totems or possibly forgo a debuff slot to allow Stormstrike to be applied by another shaman in the raid.

I highly recommend getting Timeworn Mace from DM, it's the BiS weapon for defensive purposes for the majority of the game. If threat is needed, at any moment swap in a fast dagger, for example: Core Hound tooth. Hand of edward has a low proc rate and is nichely used for aoe tanking, which could be too mechanically taxing atm for you.

Feel free to ask me more questions! I'll also be starting my streaming debut next week and can answer questions with even more detail.

Image    Image    Image
Alterac Mountains
US Fairbanks
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So I did a little bit of research, and some math. It turns out that The Hand of Edward the odd has a ‘timer’ of once per minute. The way that is normalized by swing is through weapon speed, 1.6seconds, coming out to 2.667% proc chance per swing. But when we’re comparing the threat to the Majordomo dagger you mentioned the once per minute is more important. Both items have the same rockbiter threat modifier because they are the same speed. The dagger gets an additional 2.5 Dps/tps from the attack power, bringing the threat/per second up to about 53 tps, while Edward sits at 45 tps, without the proc. Now you convert the proc chance into what you can do with the instant cast every minute, and thus convert it to tps. In order to make up the 8 tps difference between the two weapons, all you need to do is heal yourself for 16hps, 16x60=960. Healing wave rank 8 more than does the trick, as it heals for 1040 to 1191, putting you just over the tps you’d generate using the dagger. However it will cost 440 mana each team

TLDR: the tps difference between Corehound Tooth and Edward the odd is 8 tps, you can make up that threat when using Edward the odd’s once per minute proc by using healing wave rank 8 in single target, adding 17.33 to 19.85 hps. Unreliable? Yes. However, for longer fights it opens the door to far more threat generation than that dagger while adding in more survivability on top.

Seeing how those heals compare to the 120 armor from timeworn mace would be interesting to looks at, but it entirely depends on How hard you are being hit and how fast, entirely subjective data.

Timer data in the 2nd comment https://classic.wowhead.com/item=2243/h ... d#comments

teebling
Shaman Enhancement
EU Wyrmthalak
Tauren
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

I'm actually very surprised you don't mention Eskhandar's Right Claw as a weapon in gear list.
I suppose its proc has a very good synergy with RB, because extra TPS doesnt descale with Haste.
If I get this weapon, I'll try to measure its PPM and added TPS.

Badlands
EU Flamelash
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Perdition wrote:
4 years ago
This is a truly excellent Guide. Many thanks. I did alot of Shammy tanking years ago and it was one of the single most fun experiences I've ever had. Glad to see word is out!
Thank you for the support!

Perdition
Image    Image    Image
Badlands
EU Flamelash
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

TheGreatShambino wrote:
4 years ago
TLDR: the tps difference between Corehound Tooth and Edward the odd is 8 tps, you can make up that threat when using Edward the odd’s once per minute proc by using healing wave rank 8 in single target, adding 17.33 to 19.85 hps. Unreliable? Yes. However, for longer fights it opens the door to far more threat generation than that dagger while adding in more survivability on top.
Remember Healing Wave won't cause threat at max hp, you'd have to tell healers to stop healing so you can get a Healing Wave off and if you're lucky really lucky you'll heal for 100% of the damage you are missing (cuz of overhealing). And also if Healing Wave crits all of that extra healing is wasted and becomes overhealing. The only solution is to cast Healing Wave on a warlock who has life tapped his hp to low amounts, but this would not be survival focused but threat focused. However, it is still a negative. In this super rare scenario, the warlock would cause more damage from not life-tapping (cuz of CD) and their damage would significantly reduce the boss fight length, which outweighs the shaman threat gain over a boss fight length. Also, Hound tooth is still somewhat a defensive weapon (the stam), if we truly wanted to compare threat we'd use Perdition's Blade or similar. Don't get me wrong I love Edward, it's a core weapon within aoe threat generation. If you're interested, I am answering questions if you care to join.

Image    Image    Image
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

So I still have my elemental shaman, a troll. I've not played in a couple months because of RL stuff. But damn it if shaman tank has always interested me but I can't envision end-game tanking with my skinny ass troll.

I tanked WC, BFD, and SM Library while leveling, and it was super fun. But I feel like a troll tanking, even as a warrior, feels not quite right.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Alterac Mountains
US Fairbanks
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

In my opinion, if someone can’t time an instant cast self heal with their next tick of incoming damage, they likely have other, more pressing, in game problems than managing threat/survivability, and probably shouldn’t be rolling a shaman tank. Maybe for the inexperienced shaman, a different weapon could be better, but with experience using Edward, the threat and survivability are unparalleled until p3. It takes good timing and more experience, but the results are there to be attained. Like other classes and high performance specs with nuance, you just gotta know what you’re doing and practice practice practice!

Badlands
EU Flamelash
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (1.13.2)
 •  Unread

Largid wrote:
4 years ago
Only real problem on most bosses is lack of "oh shi..." button while warriors have number of those.
@Largid
Thank you so much for the support.
Our ohh-sh%& button is more elaborate it's a health potion/Healthstone, swapping to defensive wep+shield and if a buff slot is available: activate JuJu Escape.
I am currently working on implementing non-pvp gear sets. If you have anymore question I am Livestreaming and answering questions whether it be about Shaman tanking, warlock tanking, priest tanking

Image    Image    Image