Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 93
Horde
Mage

Fellows,

As a die horde horde player I was always wondering if the Classic battlegrounds (WSG, AB and AV) are fairly executed in terms of opposing factions? Would be really interested in having some insight from players, who competed in those from both - Horde and Alliance - sides.

From your point of view, are there any advantages/disadvantages in choosing certain faction?

centurion
- anno 2005.
Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 45
Human
Mage

If you are Horde, you are very likely to feel a heavy disadvantage in Alterac Valley, according to the history books.

Don't wait for the world to accept you to try and be happy.
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Grats on level 20 Razor :)

I think that with the exception of AV, there aren’t really many terrain advantages and therefore no real advantages from a completely objective point of view. Bugs like wall jumping that were abused by both sides in early vanilla days won’t be present as they were patched long before 1.12...

However different servers will have a different calibre of players on each side, and it is confirmed that there will be no cross-realm BGs in Classic. Therefore it will depend greatly on your realm’s situation.

For example on EU Ghostlands in WOTLK onwards Ally were awful mid-fighters in WSG and road-fighters in AB (the two bgs i really got into). When I faction changed to Horde I noticed a big difference in coordination and just general team play - people actually talking to each other a bit!

Could be the complete opposite on the server I join for Classic so who knows really. To make too many generalisations about horde/ally players is futile as it will vary from place to place.

Paladin Protection
US Deviate Delight
donator Posts: 98
Human
Priest

teebling wrote:
5 years ago

For example on EU Ghostlands in WOTLK onwards Ally were awful mid-fighters in WSG and road-fighters in AB (the two bgs i really got into). When I faction changed to Horde I noticed a big difference in coordination and just general team play - people actually talking to each other a bit!

Could be the complete opposite on the server I join for Classic so who knows really. To make too many generalisations about horde/ally players is futile as it will vary from place to place.
I really hope that all of these years have allowed some personal growth in the PvP department for some Alliance players because I'd hate to be on a realm with such a drastic difference between both of the factions. Healing numpties just isn't the 'fun' PvP experience I'm looking forward to... :confused:

Alterac Valley
donator Posts: 64
Troll
Priest

teebling wrote:
5 years ago

However different servers will have a different calibre of players on each side, and it is confirmed that there will be no cross-realm BGs in Classic. Therefore it will depend greatly on your realm’s situation.
Aw really? Picking a realm just gained an extra level of complexity. :sad:

"Ya got my attention."

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

Arathi Basin favours Horde a little bit more than Alliance I think, because of Blacksmith.

Alterac Valley is heavily favouring Alliance. The bunkers are harder to catch for Horde, and the towers are easier to catch for Alliance. Then there's that whole bridge at Alliance base which is the only way in unless you wall jumped your way in from behind.

Warsong Gulch I'm not sure.

Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 93
Horde
Mage

Alnir wrote:
5 years ago
I really hope that all of these years have allowed some personal growth in the PvP department for some Alliance players because I'd hate to be on a realm with such a drastic difference between both of the factions. Healing numpties just isn't the 'fun' PvP experience I'm looking forward to... :confused:
Hah, sweet dreams buddy. I reckon some people just have this style of recklessness and don't want to organize anything. So we should probably just get along with the fact, that zergs in the team is a normal state of being.

Anyway, good point. With all due respect, I've always thought that Horde has a somewhat more skilled player base PvP wise. Have no idea why, maybe some sort of psychological thing.

- anno 2005.
Warrior Protection
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 18
Horde
Warrior

Razor wrote:
5 years ago
Fellows,

As a die horde horde player I was always wondering if the Classic battlegrounds (WSG, AB and AV) are fairly executed in terms of opposing factions? Would be really interested in having some insight from players, who competed in those from both - Horde and Alliance - sides.

From your point of view, are there any advantages/disadvantages in choosing certain faction?
Horde will have a massive advantage in AV due to the backdoor jump at Alliance base. Unless Blizzard fixes it, in which case alliance will have the advantage instead.

“Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis
Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

I believe they mentioned that they were fixing all the jumping bugs.

It's not a "massive" advantage, it's something that equalizes a bit the inherent advantage the Alliance has - they don't have to bother with any tricky jumps to skip horde bases.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 223
Undead
Rogue

I think AV has the biggest advantage which has already been mentioned. The bridge and bunkers give alliance a slight advantage. WSG is pretty equal imo. AB is also pretty equal but I kinda feel like horde has a very very slight advantage in layout, but it's negligible.

Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
donator Posts: 17
Orc
Warlock

I was Horde back in Vanilla. I remember AV (by far my favorite BG) being imbalanced, with the favor towards the Alliance. That being said, I was still apart of numerous victories, and every single AV match was a blast, even if we lost.

Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage

teebling wrote:
5 years ago

Is it confirmed that there are no xrealm bg's?
I knew that xrealm dungeons and raids were definitely out but thought bg's were part of 1.12. I Know that battlegroups were still a thing as well so it wouldn't be like you are only stuck with only the players on your server but as a specific collective of servers.
Horde always did well in my previous battlegroup.

Our time will come.
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 176
Undead
Priest

Mal'Ganis had a massively unbalanced Horde to Alliance ratio. It would cause my brother and I to roam WPL/EPL for hours on end waiting for a BG que to pop, just murdering anything that was red we encountered.

Once in the BGs - they seemed to just be even. I was part of TeamCB once server Xfer's came about (Mal'ganis to Kil'Jaeden Horde) and made it to LTG on my alt-account (sadly) before a military-move removed me from the ability to play wow for about a month and a half. (2005) It crushed my wow-soul knowing I would fall far far below the rank I had achieved and this would probably keep me from attaining HWL. Cletus was in the same boat, just in a different capacity; but we were both part of TeamCB back in the day. (GREAT 6min WSGs!)

So we may have a skewed viewpoint on how BG's were back then, we would spend HOURS on non-raid-days (for me) just cycling WSG over and over. But we did enjoy some 48 hour AV's as well. I just wish I would have run 1 account back then, instead of a Priest on one and a Warrior on another, soooooo many lost HK's.....

teebling
<Extreme>
Council Chairman
US-Horde
Blaumeux