Elwynn Forest
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 35
Horde
Rogue

I would like to start a new character with a spec that no one normally plays but it also works in raids.

Example would be a shadow priest, any other thoughts?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

@Iolden is rolling an Arcane Mage which tbh I think is pretty dope!

Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 444
Alliance
Priest

Shadow priest is actually very welcome to the raid. Only one shadow priest though. They bring very useful dmg buff for the locks. I haven't played that spec myself but you could search for it and find out if it would be enjoyable playstyle for you. I just know that they start getting some nice items once BWL and ZG come out.

I have seen some very good feral druid dps as well, but they are more effort demanding then other dps to make it rly shine.
I think that you should play any spec you will enjoy, just keep in mind that there will be some downsides to playing suboptimal specs.
I would love to see players go different specs for diverse experience, would be much more fun imo.

Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
I havent seen any pure arcane mage apart from pvp either. I quess they have nice burst but very high mana costs so it isn't worth it using just arcane spells.
From what I have seen, many mages do spec deep into arcane for Arcane Power and then the rest into frost, apparently giving them higher overall dps in raids.

Priest Shadow
donator Posts: 2
Horde
Priest

People always say shadowpriests can't raid but in my experience that isn't true. It's kind of like how you'll adapt to it. In most cases regular guilds will probably let you raid as shadow but as an off-healer or something. DPSing as a shadowpriest is still a possibility but usually just 1 manages to take that spot. So if you're cool with healing but staying shadow I think you'll be good.

Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

blackcoffee wrote:
5 years ago
People always say shadowpriests can't raid but in my experience that isn't true. It's kind of like how you'll adapt to it. In most cases regular guilds will probably let you raid as shadow but as an off-healer or something. DPSing as a shadowpriest is still a possibility but usually just 1 manages to take that spot. So if you're cool with healing but staying shadow I think you'll be good.
I have seen both pure shadow dps and hybrid shadow/heal priests

Deleted User 396
donator Posts:
Deleted User 396

Enhancement shaman is a good one. You're useful for nightfall wielding and totem twisting. Not many people play it and not many people take the spec to raids. Sad.

Silverpine Forest
donator Posts: 45
Human
Mage

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Hey! That's me :D
I just fell in love with the concept of being an arcanist just randomly blowing up things. I am aware of the quirkiness of the spec and somewhat afraid of not being let into dungeon runs in high levels, let alone raids.

Then again I won't have that much time to play so just reaching 60 will be woth the run, but I do intend to do the endgame as an arcanist.

I mean, if they dont like my magic tricks, at least they will like my flasks, right?

Don't wait for the world to accept you to try and be happy.
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

I really don’t think you’re going to have trouble getting into anything man - it’s a very interesting spec and perhaps people haven’t really investigated its true potential. It will certainly make you stand out from the crowd!

Iolden
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
donator Posts: 957
Tauren
Druid

Ele Shaman is something I have seriously considered maining and trying to raid with. The talents add +11% crit +3% hit and 1 sec reduced cast time on lightning spells, 100% crit damage multiplier. Can heal quite effectively too, even in the caster gear. The main problem? The gear. To raid effectively, you will likely be wearing mostly cloth, and the tier gear isn't suited. Yuck!

This is something that I am still considering. I love druids and I'm 99% sure I will main one, but the Ele Shaman is the only other thing drawing me in...

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Deadwind Pass
donator Posts: 101
Alliance
Warlock

My vote would have to g to bear tank. For all the cheers the warriors get, bears can tank a surprising amount of things even main tanking raids. Of course it has its limitations, but bears have been proven already to tank raids and what you cant main tank you can definitely off tank. Its something I tempted to do myself

Vikernes - Human Warlock - Arugal
Shaman Enhancement
donator Posts: 375
Troll
Shaman

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Arcane mage isn't particularly hipster at all if he ends up just using frost spells. If he commits to using arcane missiles, then it's hipster. But 31/0/20, with those 20 points in Frost going into the only talents that help PvE damage except for one talent, is a super mainstream build.

Props to him if he's for real going for arcane missiles. Like holy shit I'm so curious how that goes.

Gensei - Shaman, Bloodsail Buccaneers
Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Toastea wrote:
5 years ago
My vote would have to g to bear tank. For all the cheers the warriors get, bears can tank a surprising amount of things even main tanking raids. Of course it has its limitations, but bears have been proven already to tank raids and what you cant main tank you can definitely off tank. Its something I tempted to do myself
I've played bear tank the last time I took a deep dive on a vanilla server and leveling and tanking 5 mans before and at 60 is super fun. You'll like it.

Priest Holy
donator Posts: 27
Alliance
Hunter

I experimented with a bit of bear tank in very very late vanilla, and early BC. Definitely was fun, and for sure is the "hipster" spec.

Level 0 MC 0/10 BWL 0/8 ZG 0/10 AQ 0/6 0/9 Naxx 0/15
Level 0 MC 0/10 BWL 0/8 ZG 0/10 AQ 0/6 0/9 Naxx 0/15
Ashenvale
donator Posts: 270
Alliance
Shaman

On the topic of Shadow Priest, things to consider:

• You need warlocks to be a dps enhancer. Not enough warlocks = you are not seen as valuable.
  • Not that many warlocks around historically on Alliance PvP.
  • More warlocks on Horde PvP, but more Shadow Priests too. Dangit.
  • PvE servers I have no idea.

teebling
Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 25
Horde
Warrior

edoslawsky wrote:
5 years ago
I would like to start a new character with a spec that no one normally plays but it also works in raids.

Example would be a shadow priest, any other thoughts?
Shadow priest actually does have some cool synergy with Warlocks, When fully optimized a raid that revolves around spriest is probably disgusting.

Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Linguine wrote:
5 years ago
  • You need warlocks to be a dps enhancer. Not enough warlocks = you are not seen as valuable.
Actually, in some polling data taken from the classic wow subreddit, there was no disparity in the number of warlocks between PvP and PvE servers. The only big changes going from PvP to PvE was a big drop in rogues and a big influx of priests. But there wasn't data from this specific survey how the factions cut on PvP vs. PvE

Additionally, it'd be huge if we knew what Blizzard was planning on post-Naxx, because whether there'd be more vanilla content or burning crusade would influence me on my class choice. All these hipster specs become way better in BC (to the point that they're not hipster anymore), and even some specs that are too bad even for the hipsters in vanilla are solid, like I'd 100% play elemental shaman in BC but I wouldn't even play it in vanilla as a hipster. Woof.

Though, tbh, I'm not even brave enough to play full arcane mage. It's cool b/c talents give you +10 hit (!) so you can stack + damage and not worry about hit gear as much, but arcane missiles doesn't crit at all.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 270
Alliance
Shaman

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Linguine wrote:
5 years ago
Actually, in some polling data taken from the classic wow subreddit, there was no disparity in the number of warlocks between PvP and PvE servers. The only big changes going from PvP to PvE was a big drop in rogues and a big influx of priests. But there wasn't data from this specific survey how the factions cut on PvP vs. PvE

Additionally, it'd be huge if we knew what Blizzard was planning on post-Naxx, because whether there'd be more vanilla content or burning crusade would influence me on my class choice. All these hipster specs become way better in BC (to the point that they're not hipster anymore), and even some specs that are too bad even for the hipsters in vanilla are solid, like I'd 100% play elemental shaman in BC but I wouldn't even play it in vanilla as a hipster. Woof.

Though, tbh, I'm not even brave enough to play full arcane mage. It's cool b/c talents give you +10 hit (!) so you can stack + damage and not worry about hit gear as much, but arcane missiles doesn't crit at all.

If the experience I had on private servers is anything to consider, the faction slice for PvP warlocks is huge.

For the current big name private servers it's hard to see the slice because they essentially encompass both PvP and PvE players, but in my own experience warlocks were a scarcity on the Alliance side in Warsong despite having enough warlocks in our raids. Once those PvE warlocks get sifted out and instead the PvP warlocks are being relied on I have a feel that extreme poaching will begin.

Mage Frost
donator Posts: 58
Horde
Priest

Selexin wrote:
5 years ago
Ele Shaman is something I have seriously considered maining and trying to raid with. The talents add +11% crit +3% hit and 1 sec reduced cast time on lightning spells, 100% crit damage multiplier. Can heal quite effectively too, even in the caster gear. The main problem? The gear. To raid effectively, you will likely be wearing mostly cloth, and the tier gear isn't suited. Yuck!

This is something that I am still considering. I love druids and I'm 99% sure I will main one, but the Ele Shaman is the only other thing drawing me in...
I would love to talk to you about what spec you're planning to run. I've never even leveled a shaman past 30 but I was noodling around on the wowhead talent calculators and I thought I got a pretty neat talent spec for elemental shamans. How does this look? https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc ... AHQAAzTxDA

I plan on playing a warlock but the idea of throwing lightning bolts has me intrigued.

“Everything that is... is alive.”
Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
Tauren
Druid

Kurzogg wrote:
5 years ago
I would love to talk to you about what spec you're planning to run.
I'll shoot you a PM.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Linguine wrote:
5 years ago
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Linguine wrote:
5 years ago

If the experience I had on private servers is anything to consider, the faction slice for PvP warlocks is huge.

For the current big name private servers it's hard to see the slice because they essentially encompass both PvP and PvE players, but in my own experience warlocks were a scarcity on the Alliance side in Warsong despite having enough warlocks in our raids. Once those PvE warlocks get sifted out and instead the PvP warlocks are being relied on I have a feel that extreme poaching will begin.
I don't think poaching will be that big a deal tbh. Maybe that's just me, but I dunno.

Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Kurzogg wrote:
5 years ago
Selexin wrote:
5 years ago

I would love to talk to you about what spec you're planning to run. I've never even leveled a shaman past 30 but I was noodling around on the wowhead talent calculators and I thought I got a pretty neat talent spec for elemental shamans. How does this look? https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-calc ... AHQAAzTxDA

I plan on playing a warlock but the idea of throwing lightning bolts has me intrigued.
So I was saying this on the other thread. I'd play Ele shaman in vanilla but they're just too bad. Their max rank Lightning Bolt spell is still way weaker than the max rank Fireball/Frostbolt/Shadow Bolt, and then all three of those spells gain an additional rank from the tomes in Ahn'Qiraj and LB does not. Shamans also don't have any mana regen beyond Clearcasting, and they have a super small mana pool. Also, they don't benefit from Curse of Elements (I know, right?) and, even if they did do great damage, have no aggro reduction talents.

The time for ele shaman comes in BC. I'd roll shaman for sure and heal for vanilla if I knew that BC was what will follow after. But without Totem of Wrath or Bloodlust that both come in BC, they offer no extra utility over a resto shaman to a raid. In BC they get mana regen talents and more damage talents. I still might try and play one, but I'm super worried it's just gonna be a flop.

Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Selexin wrote:
5 years ago
Kurzogg wrote:
5 years ago
I'll shoot you a PM.
See above. I know the talents look super sexy but it's not enough :(

Druid Restoration
OC Yojamba
Tauren
Druid

Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Selexin wrote:
5 years ago
Kurzogg wrote:
5 years ago
I'll shoot you a PM.
Have you played as Ele at 60? Would love to get some feedback on things like downranking, and gearing int/mp5 etc. Looks like a good spec for PVP Burst, and semi-viable for 5 mans etc. but I don't have experience at 60 to back it up, only guides and videos.

Lvl 60
Lvl 35
Shaman Enhancement
Troll
Shaman

Selexin wrote:
5 years ago
Gensei wrote:
5 years ago
Selexin wrote:
5 years ago
Kurzogg wrote:
5 years ago
I'll shoot you a PM.
Have you played as Ele at 60? Would love to get some feedback on things like downranking, and gearing int/mp5 etc. Looks like a good spec for PVP Burst, and semi-viable for 5 mans etc. but I don't have experience at 60 to back it up, only guides and videos.
I've played some. In PvP it's a great spec. It's just not good in PvE. I'm not reliable enough for a complete guide, but you would prioritize Mp5 and +hit more than anything else. You have a small mana pool and no talents to help with regen beyond clearcasting. It's fine for 5 man content. Maybe okay for ZG/AQ20, but again, you're the only damage type that doesn't benefit from either Curse (well, alongside Holy). You would just need a lot of consumables just to compare to a mage without any consumables, in both damage and mana management. And a guild willing to take you. I've tried to make it work. It's rough. At the end of the day, if you want to go for it, you just have to rock it. Bring lots of consumables and be willing to heal on the fights where you're needed.

But like I said in the other post, if we know for sure that BC is what comes after, then I'd totally go Shaman with the intent to play elemental in BC content once the talents change over. But we don't know what comes after Naxx yet.

Selexin Saltybob