Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Hey everyone!

So I've got quite interested in Dire Maul Tribute runs soloed by a Hunter using Feign Death, Pet, Frost Trap etc. to avoid all the trash and then reaching King who can then be kited by abusing ledge pathing mechanics. Seems like a pretty big gold making venture so I did some research.

On some private servers they actually changed the mechanics of King/Cho so that you can't kite it solo, making this type of run impossible. On other private servers you can kite it.

My question is what was it like originally? Was this type of gold farming a thing before private servers (ie, on the original 1.12 client) or did it only develop later? If so will it be a thing in Classic or not? I'm considering doing a write up on it but first want to be sure that it will actually be possible in Classic.

Cheers

Feralas
donator Posts: 71
Horde
Hunter

Personally I hope they fix it because it really is broken. I don't know the answers to any of your questions though.

Full bore!
Ashenvale
donator Posts: 270
Alliance
Shaman

I have heard it repeated that it was doable in Vanilla but not widespread.

I have not, however, seen any footage of it from vanilla, but that would be the easiest way to check. So, still not sure if it was vanilla or not.

It takes very good latency and a lot of practice to pull off a perfect runs, and the optimal professions for it are Eng/Enchanting. I'd estimate that most hunters are not getting optimal runs however, and if you aren't doing perfect runs the gold per hour is not nearly so high as what people throw around.

From what I know about if the different hitboxes it is actually harder to run on Dwarves than Night Elves. Not sure about horde races but I'm guessing it's horrible for Tauren.

Moonglade
EU Gandling
donator Posts: 33
Orc
Druid

I'm pretty sure there was people doing it back in the day. It was probably a fairly low percentage of people doing it though, and those who did probably did it discreetly for various reasons. The only clip I can think of is one of the "hunter vs world" videos by Dysphoria (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXE_RR5XzE8). I've done this myself as a NE hunter on private servers, and the way Dysphoria does it is certainly not the most efficient, but then again maybe the aggro-range from mobs are wrong on private servers.

Also Blizzard might have fixed it in patch 1.9.3 - "King Gordok can no longer be separated from Cho'Rush the Observer in Dire Maul"

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Patch_1.9.3

You can find me @ www.twitch.tv/fr0sk1
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

acrmojt wrote:
5 years ago
Personally I hope they fix it because it really is broken.
Do you think that hyper efficient runs could really affect gold inflation though? From what I understand in my very limited experience the reason the DM runs have been patched on pservers is because its not a run with a great deal of variables and therefore can be easily done with a scripted bot - let’s remember that pservers aren’t the best at dealing with botting whereas Blizzard will be a lot more vigilant at stopping this. What do you think? Or possibly something Blizz learned from pservers and will also patch it?
Linguine wrote:
5 years ago
I have not, however, seen any footage of it from vanilla, but that would be the easiest way to check.
To youtube!!

Interesting about the hitboxes. I will be Female Orc which is pretty slender I suppose.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Jalapeno wrote:
5 years ago
Blizzard might have fixed it in patch 1.9.3 - "King Gordok can no longer be separated from Cho'Rush the Observer in Dire Maul"

Oh shit good find - this makes the run a LOT harder because you then have to kite both Cho and King and prevent Cho from healing King... this raises the skill level a lot higher.

Moonglade
EU Gandling
Orc
Druid

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Jalapeno wrote:
5 years ago
Blizzard might have fixed it in patch 1.9.3 - "King Gordok can no longer be separated from Cho'Rush the Observer in Dire Maul"

Oh shit good find - this makes the run a LOT harder because you then have to kite both Cho and King and prevent Cho from healing King... this raises the skill level a lot higher.
Thats how I've been farming it, King chasing me and Cho chasing King :lol:. But I have a feeling Blizzard either did make him or will make him reset when he is too far away from Cho or something like that.

teebling

Feralas
donator Posts: 71
Horde
Hunter

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
can be easily done with a scripted bot
I think it would be really hard to bot this entire run. Too many subtle things can go awry.

I think forcing both bosses to pull is a smart fix.

teebling
Full bore!
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior

Well the findings in this thread have put me off trying it in Classic. Who knows they might ban people using ledge mechanics abuse etc. anyway.

In that case what other solo dungeon runs can Hunters do for gold? I've heard Maraudon Princess works out ok?

Moonglade
EU Gandling
Orc
Druid

Forgot about this thread @teebling :D!

Maraudon is a great place to farm gold in my oppinion, because you don't have any competition.

I will probably farm the missing gold for my epic mount there once I hit 60.

Mulgore
donator Posts: 96
Tauren
Druid

Been looking around at all this hunter farming, but can any other classes actually do this kinda stuff?
Like say, can a feral druid solo farm maraudon? I guess stealth might help, but you have to brute force tank bosses with your own face rather than some gorilla..

Making a EU Horde day-raiding guild in Classic! PM if interested or have a look at our forum http://mbh.epizy.com or discord https://discord.gg/7AKguup :)
Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 29
Human
Warrior

If I roll hunter instead of warrior, it would be partly because I want to be able to farm gold peacefully and effectively. If they nerf Dire Maul runs (or even go as far as nerfing Mara runs-which shouldn't be nerfed tbh) it's gonna sway my opinion more towards warrior. I just hope they'll make an announcement about it before classic so I can make up my mind. No matter what hunter will always be a sweetheart to me.

Moonglade
EU Gandling
Orc
Druid

Driath wrote:
5 years ago
Been looking around at all this hunter farming, but can any other classes actually do this kinda stuff?
Like say, can a feral druid solo farm maraudon? I guess stealth might help, but you have to brute force tank bosses with your own face rather than some gorilla..
I'm not sure if it's doable in Classic, but a friend of mine helped me get the blackstone ring for my Rogue on a pserver. He kited Princess around the big stone at her entrance.

Moonglade
EU Gandling
Orc
Druid

Muhip wrote:
5 years ago
If I roll hunter instead of warrior, it would be partly because I want to be able to farm gold peacefully and effectively. If they nerf Dire Maul runs (or even go as far as nerfing Mara runs-which shouldn't be nerfed tbh) it's gonna sway my opinion more towards warrior. I just hope they'll make an announcement about it before classic so I can make up my mind. No matter what hunter will always be a sweetheart to me.
It's probably pretty likely they will nerf the DM-tribute, simply because it's too good and you are killing the King in a way it was not intended. But I doubt they will nerf Maraudon-farm. Because you're actually not abusing anything there, you are higher level than the instance and you are simply killing the bosses solo without any abuse of mechanics.

teebling s1atan

Winterspring
donator Posts: 274
Horde

Also Rotgrip will use his ability much faster on Classic so it is yet unknown if he will be soloable (might be). He would not be ccable aswell like he is on some pservers.

Anyway you can look on average at 33g/h with Rotgrip or 27g/h without Rotgrip - these are rough estimates & averages. You can get prolonged luck on drops and make much more or much less.

teebling Jalapeno
Lurkki
donator Posts:
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Has anyone any reliable data on the situation around /camp, would propably make all these dungeon farms not worth it if you have to corpserun or run through the dungeon to start a new run.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Lurkki wrote:
5 years ago
Has anyone any reliable data on the situation around /camp, would propably make all these dungeon farms not worth it if you have to corpserun or run through the dungeon to start a new run.
I don't really get what you mean?

To me I only ever used /camp to log off in the middle of a flight path (it would drop you at the nearest stop and log you off). What effect has this got on dungeon soloing?

If you'd like to expand on this I can try to test stuff in the beta for you.

Winterspring
Horde
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Lurkki wrote:
5 years ago
I don't really get what you mean?

To me I only ever used /camp to log off in the middle of a flight path (it would drop you at the nearest stop and log you off). What effect has this got on dungeon soloing?

If you'd like to expand on this I can try to test stuff in the beta for you.
Its used when you repeatedly farming dungeons (like hunter in Maraudon) to get you out of instance and just before portal.

It saves time which means more gold per hour.

teebling
donator Posts: 21
Orc
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Just found this thread as its something that piqued my interest. Are there any specific professions that are 'best' for hunters that are going to be farming Mara? I've seen some people say the ghost mushrooms with herbalism, I wasn't sure if there were other instances that maybe were better for farming gold dependent on your professions.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
Orc
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

rageplant wrote:
5 years ago
Just found this thread as its something that piqued my interest. Are there any specific professions that are 'best' for hunters that are going to be farming Mara? I've seen some people say the ghost mushrooms with herbalism, I wasn't sure if there were other instances that maybe were better for farming gold dependent on your professions.
Enchanting would be my choice if I did that.

donator Posts: 21
Orc
Hunter
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
I had read some old threads about enchanting for these types of runs, and it seemed like the consensus was that the vendor price for anything BoP was more than the DE mats. Might be something to dig into further though, I've got 83 days to theorize :P.

Thanks for the great forum :D

Blasted Lands
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 201
Human
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

rageplant wrote:
5 years ago
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
I had read some old threads about enchanting for these types of runs, and it seemed like the consensus was that the vendor price for anything BoP was more than the DE mats. Might be something to dig into further though, I've got 83 days to theorize :P.

Thanks for the great forum :D
Depends on the economy, you know exactly what vendoring items will net you and you know what shards you’ll get. Easy enough to find out if its worth it. Saw a video on Northdale where anythimg below 3g would be disenchanted because shards went for more.

EU - Firemaw
Alliance Warlock
Winterspring
donator Posts: 26
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Has there been any updated if this will be doable or not in Classic?

"You can just hang outside in the sun all day, tossing a ball around...
Or you could sit at your computer and do something that matters."
- Eric Cartman
Winterspring
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Zaycho wrote:
4 years ago
Not yet and we will probably wait until the P2.

Zaycho
Winterspring
donator Posts: 26
Night Elf
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

s1atan wrote:
4 years ago
Zaycho wrote:
4 years ago
Not yet and we will probably wait until the P2.
Thanks. Do we know approximately when P2 will be released?

"You can just hang outside in the sun all day, tossing a ball around...
Or you could sit at your computer and do something that matters."
- Eric Cartman