Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Blizzard Entertainment
Hello Classic enthusiasts! We’ve been following the discussions about Classic closely here on the forums (and elsewhere) throughout the winter, and wanted to give you an update on a few things that the Classic development team has worked through since BlizzCon and the Classic demo.

The feedback we got from the demo was fantastic. Thank you to everyone who gave us so much feedback to work with, especially the community members who compiled lists of issues that people found with the demo. We’ve looked at everything that was reported, and want to share a few anecdotes with you so you can see how we’re tackling these issues.

One thing many players noticed was the incorrect health regeneration and the spell critical hit multiplier. Good catch! Going into the demo, we thought we’d fixed that and were surprised to see the issue crop up. Before BlizzCon, we specifically checked health and mana regeneration, and fixed the critical hit cases. We also did combat and regeneration tests to make sure we had those accurate.

It turns out that there was a discrepancy between how Classic was configured on our environment at the office (correct!) and the environment serving the demo to you (not correct…). Tracking that down taught us how to best check our environment configuration as we prepare it for launch.

Another issue players reported was that Warlock demon summoning was broken – lots of players said that you shouldn’t lose your current demon until the new one appears. We double-checked and in the original 1.12 WoW, and there, as soon as you started summoning a new demon, your existing demon disappeared. So the demo actually matched how the game played originally. There were a few other reports – such as “rare mobs do way less damage” and “Kobolds at Jangolode Mine run faster than walking speed when running away” – where we were able to confirm that the gameplay was the same in the demo as in the original 1.12 WoW.

It’s important to point out that there are some bugs we’re going to fix before launch, and there are some bugs that we don’t intend to address. As we mentioned in our BlizzCon presentation, some differences aren’t worth fixing, like differences in how the mail works. Nonetheless, we’ve fixed some fairly high-priority issues:

Critical Strike rating: Each item now “Improves your chance to get a critical strike by X%.”
Rogue Energy didn’t work right: it was both benefiting from melee haste and re-calculating more often than it was supposed to. Both issues were fixed.
Slow Fall no longer applies to your jumps.
You again get pushback when hit by ranged attacks and wands.
Dodge, Parry, and Miss were all not happening often enough.
That’s not all we’ve done, of course, but we want to give you an idea of what we’re prioritizing: core game systems, combat, and content. We’ve spent time on other things such as user interface and making sure graphics “feel” like they used to, but our primary focus is on gameplay.

Again, we’re following all of your discussions and loving your enthusiasm – and we’re going to get more information for you posted here soon (not soon™).

Thank you, and get ready for a Classic Summer!
From official forums. So - confirmed that mail will be as it is in retail (instant and not 1hr delay like before). Not really bothered by this although its surprising that they described it as ‘not worth fixing’ - what else are they not going to bother with? Wrong! - see Ulthric and Firelord’s posts below.

Otherwise good to see they responded to feedback re: mechanics in the demo being off - and also found some stuff that people were claiming was ‘off’ but actually was faithful to 1.12.

Ulthric Jpy Linguine Syturio
Ashenvale
donator Posts: 12
Alliance
Warrior

Even though it's a quick update, it's nice to have even the smallest insight into the development process!

Durotar
EU Mograine
donator Posts: 14
Horde
Warrior

I'm pretty happy with that update. Short, sweet & laced with hype :)

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 270
Alliance
Shaman

I appreciate their honesty on issues like the mail, and I can also understand that it isn't exactly high priority. Just that they admit it isn't yet in it's final state, but could be fixed eventually is good.

As long as they don't say they'll never fix it, because that would be strange. Even if it's two years later, it should stay on the to-do list.

It could point to them doing something like a 1.14 after 1.13 and not wanting to split them until later because 1.14 IS going to get the mail update made permanent or something.

Feralas
donator Posts: 71
Horde
Hunter

I mean how hard is it to add a mail delay... what?

This reminds me of when they tried to make it sound like migrating DB columns took months.

Syturio
Full bore!
Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

It was always curious to me how people claimed the Warlock demon disappearance was a bug, but according to Blizzard this was definitely not the case (either way, I do not know or remember myself, but I trust Blizzard's word on it.)

It really makes me wonder how 'twisted' and changed people's idea of Vanilla was, playing on private servers for so long.

All in all, I don't think this update gave us too much information except of that line of more info actually coming soon and not far-away soon.

Ashenvale
donator Posts: 12
Alliance
Warrior

I think you guys are misunderstanding what Blizzard is saying here in regards to mail mechanics. Ion said during the Classic panel at Blizzcon that they will be keeping mail as it was in vanilla, meaning items will take 1hr to arrive in the recipients mailbox. Gold will still be instant. They used mail here in this post as an example of things they aren't changing.

Quaria
Undercity
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 182
Horde
Rogue

acrmojt wrote:
5 years ago
That was the first thing i thought... That would probably take less than 5 minutes to do...

Firelord
ModeratorPrivate Message
Ashenvale
Alliance
Shaman

acrmojt wrote:
5 years ago
If I were developing it I wouldn't be concerned with how long it would take to add mail delay, but rather I would be concerned about breaking something else while doing it.

Depending on how weird their code for this looks of course. In a perfect world code would be clean and easy to edit but that never seems to be the case in reality.

Disclaimer: I'm not a full time developer, but I have a bit of experience in coding.

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

Syturio wrote:
5 years ago
acrmojt wrote:
5 years ago
That was the first thing i thought... That would probably take less than 5 minutes to do...
Linguine wrote:
5 years ago
acrmojt wrote:
5 years ago
If I were developing it I wouldn't be concerned with how long it would take to add mail delay, but rather I would be concerned about breaking something else while doing it.

Depending on how weird their code for this looks of course. In a perfect world code would be clean and easy to edit but that never seems to be the case in reality.

Disclaimer: I'm not a full time developer, but I have a bit of experience in coding.
As Ulthric pointed out, I think you might misunderstand what is being said here.

The delay will still be there, however, as was noticed on the demo, you could send more than one item per mail--that is what they will not be changing. The one hour delay will remain, but you will be able to send more than one item at a time.

So if you want your items quicker, you will indeed have to interact with the other player still—or take your time and wait an hour.

teebling Syturio Linguine acrmojt
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Ooooooh okay my bad! That’s good to hear - I struck through my original post cos I was wrong. Thanks Ulth and FL.

Ashenvale
Alliance
Shaman

Firelord wrote:
5 years ago
As Ulthric pointed out, I think you might misunderstand what is being said here.

The delay will still be there, however, as was noticed on the demo, you could send more than one item per mail--that is what they will not be changing. The one hour delay will remain, but you will be able to send more than one item at a time.

So if you want your items quicker, you will indeed have to interact with the other player still—or take your time and wait an hour.
Oh, thanks! That makes a lot of sense. The multiple mails doesn't really affect gameplay the way instant mail would so this makes a lot more sense.