Winterspring
donator Posts: 274
Horde
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Swans wrote:
5 years ago
s1atan wrote:As im working from home and sitting in front of computer for countless hours every day - I opted for nice gaming chair for around 500 dollars. It is good if you care about your back health as you can set pretty much anything on it (depends on the model of course). I've got Maxnomic Commander after few months of scouting the market.

I had problems with back but thankfully thats all gone. Its really comfortable and much healthier than plain office chairs. 95% of IKEA products are shit btw.
I can't imagine buying a $500 "gaming" chair as a supplement for back problems.
Good for you that you dont have back problems.

donator Posts: 74
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

s1atan wrote:Good for you that you dont have back problems.
That wasn't the intent of my post whatsoever. Surely there are better alternatives for whatever injury or disease you have other than paying five hundred dollars for a videogame chair?

Winterspring
donator Posts: 274
Horde
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Swans wrote:
5 years ago
s1atan wrote:Good for you that you dont have back problems.
That wasn't the intent of my post whatsoever. Surely there are better alternatives for whatever injury or disease you have other than paying five hundred dollars for a videogame chair?
It probably depens on country but the chairs for that starts for around 700 dollars here and thats just for the cheapest models. So I used this option instead.

Rogue Combat
donator Posts: 147
Undead
Rogue
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I bought IKEA Markus 2 weeks ago and can only recommend it. The taller the person, the better. Was looking at gaming chairs like DXRacer, but in my opinion they cost too much. You pay for the brand just like for Apple products.

Swans
Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Swans wrote:
5 years ago
I can't imagine buying a $500 "gaming" chair as a supplement for back problems.
Lumbar support is pretty damn nice, have you ever sat in one? I know it would do me a world of good but likewise I can't justify the money right now.

Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
donator Posts: 229
Horde
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

This is what I stayed up until 4:30 AM last night working on. Ripping apart my desk, mounting my monitors, and trying to reduce cable presence as much as possible. Still have some progress to make on that front, but I think it's a good start.

Relik ShamelessEU teebling Selexin Mambo Hip Hazen
Searing Gorge
donator Posts: 28
Horde
Priest
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

pan0phobik wrote:
5 years ago
This is what I stayed up until 4:30 AM last night working on. Ripping apart my desk, mounting my monitors, and trying to reduce cable presence as much as possible. Still have some progress to make on that front, but I think it's a good start.
Would you share that wallpaper on the left?

Larry the Undead Priest @ Fairbanks
Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
Horde
Warlock
5 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

cburmeister wrote:
5 years ago
pan0phobik wrote:
5 years ago
Would you share that wallpaper on the left?

cburmeister neofrag
Tirisfal Glades
donator Posts: 196
Undead
Mage
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Relik wrote:
5 years ago
teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Is that a real Gibson I spot hiding behind your left speaker?
Yep, it's a 1985 standard.

Here's a family photo!

Your family photo has Gibson and Fender in it? What kind of family is this!? This would be like members of the Horde and Alliance in the same family. These are perilous times!

Relik
Our time will come.
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
donator Posts: 825
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

pan0phobik wrote:
5 years ago

Mirin the backlight setup. Kind of cool how much some colored lights can make a space more interesting.

Winterspring
EU Pyrewood Village
donator Posts: 146
Troll
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
@Goetia taking a picture whilst fighting Diablo, pretty brave! Are you on Nightmare/Hell yet? What character? BIG D2 fan here.

PS beautiful setup.
That's MrLlamaSC, Diablo 2 streamer and speedrunner. Cool guy.

@Goetia very neat set up! A little bit jealous.

Edit: Ok I just quoted from 3 months ago :neutral:

daisyKutter - Troll Protection Warrior
EU PvE - Pyrewood Village - Horde
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

My original plan was to continue using my original Core 2 system that I built for vanilla back in 2006. It's been upgraded as far as it can go, eventually picked up a QX6850 to replace the E6400, maxed out the memory at 8GB RAM, dropped some SSDs into it, gave it a GTX980 that I had laying around. And it's not doing too bad - I just picked up a 2560x1440 GSync display and this old rig can keep it fed with 100-144fps most of the time. Which I guess makes sense because the game is as old as the computer is :lol:

But I have noticed that my frame rate tanks as soon as I load up a youtube video on the second screen. So I think I'm going to swap it with a system I built for use at work. It's completely overkill at work since all I do is use GIMP, freecad, powerpoint, and excel... all of which are basically single-threaded applications. I might as well bring it home for some fun.

I'll copy & paste a build thread I made when I first put the thing together and hide it behind a spoiler tag so the thread doesn't explode.

SpoilerShow
I really liked the InWin 805i chassis. Nearly the entire case is wrapped in glass, and it has an infinity mirror at the front which is pretty unique

Problem is this thing has terrible airflow. The top, both sides, and front are all solid panels of glass and aluminum with no vents. The only place for air to flow is through the floor and out the back. Which results in something like this:

The answer here is to create an air duct to make sure all the intake air flows through the radiator. Luckily there is a pretty big plenum in front of the radiator, so the challenge is just to make sure all intake air flows to it.

Grabbed some cardboard to mock up a duct.

Was really happy with how the mockup went. I transferred the pattern to some aluminum and copied the shape. Got the aluminum from an extra street sign that I had on hand. Stripped the sign part off with a putty knife and carb cleaner and got to work.

The air shroud directs all of the intake air to the plenum in front of the radiator, and the pair of 140mm fans pull it across the radiator fins. This way nearly 100% of the intake air is drawn across the radiator and cools the loop instead of just swirling around the inside of the case.

I didn't seal the air duct off from the power supply though, so some of the intake air is routed directly to the top of the PSU.

And when painted, the new aluminum blends in with the rest of the case. The front is wedged between some sheet metal and doesn't budge, and the rear is pinned in place with a wellnut and single bolt. It's solid. Ignore the heatsink fans on the CPU and video card, this picture was taken while the system wasn't done yet. Was running it on air for a few weeks to make sure everything was stable.

And I'm not using this shroud to hide a mess of cables - my wiring game is on point here. Kind of sad it's not visible because it's hidden under the air duct, but I'm still really happy with how it turned out.

I really love the rear side window on this case. It gave me a reason to try individually sleeved custom wiring for the first time. I got some paracord and connectors and spent a couple of weekends making every cable in the case by hand.

Using a pair of 2TB 2.5" HDD behind the motherboard in RAID 1 for automatic nightly backups. Weekly backups get pushed across the network. But local backups on a RAID 1 is also nice to have.

Water cooling went great in this case. This was also my first time trying liquid cooling. I mocked it up in powerpoint before I got started and decided on a configuration that I liked

To get the right reservoir length I ended up going with connecting a separate pump and reservoir through a fitting. I went with an EK D5 pump connected to a Thermaltake reservoir through the top fill port. I used the other connectors on the res for drain and input.

I didn't have a funnel... so I poured 1L of coolant over the system using a ziploc bag and duct tape. Not the smartest idea I've ever had, but it got the job done.

It ran all night with the electronics unplugged face down without leaks. Not bad for my first attempt at this stuff.

I'm using the normal in&out ports of the res for input and for a ball valve for draining. The ports on the very bottom of the res can be accessed by taking PCIe slot brackets out. I use them for filling the thing with coolant with the chassis rotated face down. It's hard to see but there is a ball valve there with a G1/4 plug screwed in just to be safe. I have a compression fitting and soft tubing that I can screw in to it to drain the coolant into a bucket.

My original plan was for UV reactive blue fluid. I went with black instead. I think this was a good choice. It's kind of subtle.

The motherboard had defaulted to red LEDs. I settled on light blue and white for the lighting in the end. It's really hard to get a good picture of this thing.

My favorite part of this build: 3x Samsung 960 Pro NVMe SSDs in a 1.5TB bootable RAID 0.

Finally wrapped it up and brought it in to work. I get to look at this thing all day. And it looks way better in person than it does in pictures.

InWin 805i chassis
Threadripper 2990WX 32 cores / 64 threads
32GB DDR4-3200
3x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB in a 1.5TB NVMe RAID 0
2TB RAID 1 for nightly backups
Geforce GTX980ti
Custom liquid cooling
Hand built custom wiring harness

Complete maximum overkill for a 15 year old computer game :lol:

Easycap Erik
Priest Holy
EU Wyrmthalak
donator Posts: 102
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I want to build a new pc so bad, but im not sure i can justify spending the money when im only going to be playing Classic.

I would like to build a pc using the new AMD Ryzen 9 3900x and their new Radeon rx 5700, in a Loque Ghost S1.

Warlock Demonology
US Skeram
Horde
Warlock
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
pan0phobik wrote:
5 years ago

Mirin the backlight setup. Kind of cool how much some colored lights can make a space more interesting.
Thank you. I'm in LOVE with Hue lights.

Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 6
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Here's my current setup, recently moved my rig into an NZXT H200.

Working on a few minor mods to clean up the inside (custom cables and 90 degree adaptors for the motherboard I/O).

Grand Marshal Hottage - 120 Retribution Paladin, Sylvanas EU
Hottage - Retribution Paladin, Shazzrah EU

Computer - i5 8600K (4.5Ghz) - 16GB DDR4 (3200Mhz) - RTX2080 - 1TB NVMe (3.4GB/s) - XG2730 (1440p/144hz)
Priest Holy
EU Wyrmthalak
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

I cant see your pictures :/

pan0phobik
Ashenvale
US Fairbanks
Gnome
Warrior
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hottage wrote:
4 years ago

Working on a few minor mods to clean up the inside (custom cables and 90 degree adaptors for the motherboard I/O).
The image links you used are on a web server which blocks them from being used on other websites. But they can be downloaded directly from the URL, so I moved them over to a different image host for you. You can probably see the images on your screen because they're already cached, but nobody else can. Here they are so other people can see them:

Elwynn Forest
US Herod
donator Posts: 17
Horde
Shaman
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
@Jpy replacement mat for your steelseries? :razz:

Where can i get this?

Lok'tar!

<Elwynn Forever> - NA - Horde - PvP - EST
https://discord.gg/9AKdcxn

Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 48
Horde
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

SpoilerShow
Had this machine for 3 years now and not had a single problem. The notables include an Asus Z170-A motherboard, Intel i5-6600k processor and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 graphics card.

When I was growing up we could never afford a decent computer so I could never play the latest, most graphically sophisticated games. At one point our little home desktop was 5 years old and overheating trying to run Garry's Mod on the lowest settings. WoW was never a problem though and this machine is going to have it's fair share of that in 20 days or so.

Mambo
Gandling EU
Shaman Elemental
donator Posts: 69
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Nothing to special, I'll be playing on a 2016 Macbook pro. It seemed to handle retail find so I'm thinking Classic will run smoothly *fingers crossed*

Hey there, ClassicRaids here! Join our weekly Free WoW Game Time Giveaway!

ClassicRaids is a website centered around endgame content for World of Warcraft Classic. We help our users with a WoW Classic Guild Recruitment List, Character Search & Lookup, and Gold Making Profession Guides. Check us out and let us know if there's anything we can do to better support the Classic WoW community!
Hunter Beast Mastery
donator Posts: 18
Troll
Hunter
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Hip wrote:
4 years ago
SpoilerShow
Had this machine for 3 years now and not had a single problem. The notables include an Asus Z170-A motherboard, Intel i5-6600k processor and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 graphics card.

When I was growing up we could never afford a decent computer so I could never play the latest, most graphically sophisticated games. At one point our little home desktop was 5 years old and overheating trying to run Garry's Mod on the lowest settings. WoW was never a problem though and this machine is going to have it's fair share of that in 20 days or so.
Really nice place to sit and work/play! Would have loved a picture of the actual computer!
Below I present my recently built battlestation, courtesy of IKEA.

The PC on the right is the PC that I actually game on, and it's decently powerful as I like to play more modern games too. It's also the first PC I assembled all by myself. I used to buy prebuilts but I really want to experience the joy of building for myself. Notable specs are:
SpoilerShow
  • MSI B450m Mortar
  • Ryzen 7 2700x
  • G.Skill 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 - 16Gb
  • MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Armor
  • NZXT H400
The monitor is an LG 34" ultrawide at 2560x1080 resolution. The pixel density isn't the greatest, but I like high refresh rates (it's 144hz) and I didn't quite have the budget for both an expensive 3440x1440 monitor and a high-end graphics card powerful enough to run it at 60+ framerates.

I enjoyed the experience of building my own system so much that I ended up taking apart my old system and rebuilding it in a new case, mostly for the hell of it. That's the computer on the left. I currently don't have a real use case for it, but I can't bring myself to sell it either. It might end up serving as a dedicated streaming PC, if I ever decide I want to try that. The case and the CPU cooler are the only new parts on it. Specs are:
SpoilerShow
  • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
  • Intel i7-4790k
  • Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz DDR3 CL11 - 16Gb
  • MSI GeForce GTX 980
  • Fractal Design Meshify C
Hope you guys like it!

Relik Hip Pippina teebling
EU Dreadmist
donator Posts: 231
Horde
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

@Mambo that looks incredible!

I like the owls too, been meaning to get booked in for an owl tattoo for a while now. I have a weird thing for owls. :confused:

Orgrimmar
donator Posts: 48
Horde
Rogue
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Mambo wrote:
4 years ago
Really nice place to sit and work/play! Would have loved a picture of the actual computer!
Here you go!
SpoilerShow

It's really nothing special, I bought it specifically because it was a featureless black box that kept noise down to a minimum.

Mambo
Gandling EU
Priest Holy
EU Wyrmthalak
Dwarf
Priest
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

This is where im going to be killing Alliance players nad raiding. Nothing special (but very old)

s1atan Mambo teebling
Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 6
Alliance
Paladin
4 years ago (Beta)
 •  Unread

Pippina wrote:
4 years ago
Hottage wrote:
4 years ago

The image links you used are on a web server which blocks them from being used on other websites. But they can be downloaded directly from the URL, so I moved them over to a different image host for you. You can probably see the images on your screen because they're already cached, but nobody else can. Here they are so other people can see them:
Thanks my dude, I updated the post.

Grand Marshal Hottage - 120 Retribution Paladin, Sylvanas EU
Hottage - Retribution Paladin, Shazzrah EU

Computer - i5 8600K (4.5Ghz) - 16GB DDR4 (3200Mhz) - RTX2080 - 1TB NVMe (3.4GB/s) - XG2730 (1440p/144hz)