Hunter Marksman
donator Posts: 90
Dwarf
Hunter

Just curious to see the reasons behind playing a specific class. Aesthetic reasons, in-game abilities, lore, rotation, simplicity or complexity.. What's yours?

Awaiting Classic WoW

Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 444
Alliance
Priest

I always tended to roll a Druid as the idea of pure nature spells brought me kind of cozy and warm feeling. I love the bright green glow and the sounds of the spells. In Vanilla, Druids are to some extent underpopulated as they are considered to be masters of nothing. I like to be an outsider, sort of unique so having a prospect of mastering such class and showing that even Druids can shine appealed to me a lot. Nowadays I also like rolling Warrior as they are very complex, fun and challenging to play, especially prot for me. I like to dig in the details of the class and learning its depths so I can step off the crowd and be one of the best of that class (not that I would be atm, lol).

slud wrote:
6 years ago
Hit me up if you wanna play on Light's Hope together!
Anyways, are you about to start on the fresh LH server?

slud Flerex ClassicRaids
Faendur, the Creepy Dwarf
Elwynn Forest
donator Posts: 24
Alliance

When I played vanilla years ago I remember picking Warlock because I heard about the group ritual for the Doomguard which would kill one of the participants. I never got to do it when I played back then but it was such a draw for me, it just seemed so intense.

slud fendor
For the Crusade!
Warsong Gulch
donator Posts: 93
Horde
Mage

I had a several mains - mage, paladin and rogue successively - the one bringing me the fondest memories is a paladin from TBC/WotLK era. I always liked the idea of extending a helping hand to the others, being able to support when needed, yet to kick butts when the situation demands. Hence the holy warrior seemed as a fit class to me. And back then it was a 10/10 choice. I really enjoyed the paladin gameplay, the role and the animation of abilities. Lights everywhere, justice and wrath of vengeance well deserved. Blood elf 360 jump was a cherry on the top.

Just because I dear this experience in my heart so much, I doubt I'll roll a paladin ever again. For me - it would be impossible to relive the class in any better way. And feel really happy having this memory.

slud
- anno 2005.
donator Posts: 15

I literally can't decide. I'm having an existential crisis over it. I mean, I like tanking but I don't really like warriors. I also don't want the constant pressure of leading the dungeon. Maybe some of the time, but sometimes I know I'll get home from work and just want to chill out. I don't really enjoy healing. I also like collecting gear and seeing it on my character. That's why I'm questioning rolling druid, since so much of their time is spent shape shifted and you can't admire their gear as much. In the end, it'll be a while before classic is announced but less launched, so I have a lot of time to keep driving myself crazy going between classes.

slud
Warsong Gulch
Horde
Mage

Laphroaig wrote:
6 years ago
I literally can't decide. I'm having an existential crisis over it. I mean, I like tanking but I don't really like warriors. I also don't want the constant pressure of leading the dungeon. Maybe some of the time, but sometimes I know I'll get home from work and just want to chill out. I don't really enjoy healing. I also like collecting gear and seeing it on my character. That's why I'm questioning rolling druid, since so much of their time is spent shape shifted and you can't admire their gear as much. In the end, it'll be a while before classic is announced but less launched, so I have a lot of time to keep driving myself crazy going between classes.
When you cannot decide on what do you want from the list - it is the best to begin by thinking about what you don't want and crossing these things out. This general rule of life is directly applicable to your tremendous dilemma (chuckle), which we've all faced. Therefore, as the list shortens and you hear yourself telling the arguments "why not this, why not that" - the choice becomes so much easier.

Finally, when there are only two picks - you flip a coin. There is a secret here as well - to catch yourself on a thought which side you hope it lands. Once you got it - the side it actually landed doesn't matter. You've got your answer. :smile:

Doesntmatter
- anno 2005.
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

Laphroaig wrote:
6 years ago
You should probably go with some dps class instead then. If you don't like Warriors and you are most likely to not enjoy leading a group, you shouldn't roll warrior. What specifically don't you like about healing?

Teldrassil
US Herod
donator Posts: 31
Alliance
Mage

I have also always been a druid main. As WoW is a RPG game, I loved the role that druids have in the lore, protecting nature and bringing balance to Azeroth. Regarding gameplay, being the only class able to transform itself into an animal to do the role of any of the other class was very appealing. With that, plus me being a completely fan of characters with magic abilities and that are not melee made my decision clear.

My second main is a mage for the same reason, I love the way it works and how cool their magic abilities are. Imagine being a completely noob and discovering that you can transform your enemies into sheep and attack them while they're transform. Overpowered, right?

As a curiosity, I know how to play (more or less) all classes (up to WotLK) except Rogues, Warriors and Hunters just because they have no magic and, thus, have no attraction to me. I'm weird, I know.

Warsong Gulch
Horde
Mage

Flerex wrote:
6 years ago
As a curiosity, I know how to play (more or less) all classes (up to WotLK) except Rogues, Warriors and Hunters just because they have no magic and, thus, have no attraction to me. I'm weird, I know.
It's the first time I see such a clear-cut argument why not X, Y, Z. No magic. No attraction. Period. :biggrin:

- anno 2005.
Teldrassil
US Herod
donator Posts: 31
Alliance
Mage

Razor wrote:
6 years ago
Flerex wrote:
6 years ago
It's the first time I see such a clear-cut argument why not X, Y, Z. No magic. No attraction. Period. :biggrin:
I know right? I have tried Hunters in some instant servers because at least they're ranged, but I wouldn't be able to level up a hunter all the way till 60, for example.

Undercity
EU Shazzrah
donator Posts: 182
Horde
Rogue

Rogue.
They have a lot of style, and are extremely fun to play.
I can go anywhere with Stealth ability, it makes me feel safe at all times,

ModeratorPrivate Message
Hunter Marksman
donator Posts: 90
Dwarf
Hunter

Syturio wrote:
6 years ago
Rogue.
They have a lot of style, and are extremely fun to play.
I can go anywhere with Stealth ability, it makes me feel safe at all times,
Stealth is honestly so handy. Like you said, being able to run around anywhere and sneak around is so fun.

Awaiting Classic WoW

Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

Still cannot decide whether to roll priest or druid when Classic comes out :cry: :oops:

Warrior Fury
EU Flamelash
donator Posts: 212
Horde

Been leaning towards Shaman the most, but I do have my dreams about Dwarf Priest and Human Paladin.

I do prefer Horde majority of the time, so I will most likely end up as that.

As a Shaman, I know I will probably be forced into a healing role if it comes to raiding. But who knows, maybe I can become that one token Enhancement in the raid group and eventually get my hand on the Eye of Sulfuras and get myself an actual Sulfuras.

Longterm dream that one, at least.

teebling
Mulgore
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 196
Tauren
Shaman

Really split between Warrior and Shaman.
Warrior would be mostly for Blacksmithing... I love it! But Shaman has the most intense class quests (I Love them!) and it's really a jack of all trades from my point of view!

teebling
Ish-ne-alo por-ah (May the days ahead be guided by the elders of long ago)

Hydraxian Waterlords - RP - EU
  • Fendor - Tauren Shaman
  • Ildebrando - Dwarf Hunter
  • Osandiron - Dwarf Priest
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

If I rolled horde (depends on what my friends are gonna play) I would probably go with either Shaman or Priest Troll. Might even consider Undead Priest for its amazing looks with priest gear.

If Alliance, then I would decide between Dwarf Priest and Druid

Darnassus
donator Posts: 24
Night Elf
Druid

Mage because of the fantasy of nuking things with magic, and the utility of teleports, slow falls, conjuration and such. For me it is one of those classes that once you get into it, classes that can't teleport and conjure feel severely lacking. Get used to that utility a bit too much haha.

Eastern Plaguelands
US Faerlina
donator Posts: 369
Horde

Mage because gold. I plan to main either Rogue or Warrior but start with Mage as a means to fund whichever of the other.

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Authiel wrote:
5 years ago
classes that can't teleport and conjure feel severely lacking. Get used to that utility a bit too much haha.
Oh I can sympathise with this totally. First mage I see I will try and befriend them immediately. The amount of Gold I put into mage portals over the years is appalling.

Hunter main, army of twinks here.

Also Slud's avatar just gave me flashbacks :lol:

Westfall
EU Patchwerk
donator Posts: 38
Alliance
Paladin

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
Also Slud's avatar just gave me flashbacks :lol:
Slud Chat omg I remember that LOL he will be back I’m sure of it.

Back on topic: Hunter level 60 for solo stuff and either a Pally tank or healer for group content. I’m pretty set on this decision!

Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

Warlock.

Thematically, I like playing into the necessary evil. Doing dangerously stupid things that can backfire? Yup.
Mechanically, I enjoy playing the support-DPS archetype. The simple rotation means I don't have to focus too much on playing my character right which lets me focus on others as a raid leader. I like having a high skill-cap for PvP and a multitude of viable builds I can swap between.

Top perk for me: Having a standard build that's good for PvE and decent for farming and PvP.

It's a mix between:

• Being very desirable in groups and raids
  • Having an unpredictable potential in PvP
  • Class identity and aesthetics
  • Can be optimally played without too much time wasted on farming

teebling Hoofoot
Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

I have decided on rolling priest but now I'm stuck on whether dwarf or human -_-

Warrior Protection
EU Hydraxian Waterlords
donator Posts: 1325
Orc
Warrior

Faendor wrote:
5 years ago
I have decided on rolling priest but now I'm stuck on whether dwarf or human -_-
Stoneform is so good man, I’d choose Dwarf any day of the week!
Nymis wrote:
5 years ago
Having an unpredictable potential in PvP
That’s interesting - locks haven’t really been discussed much for PvP use on here yet, and I don’t hear them mentioned very often elsewhere. What can you tell us about them? Do you think they are underrated?

Warlock Destruction
EU Firemaw
donator Posts: 307
Undead
Warlock

teebling wrote:
5 years ago
That’s interesting - locks haven’t really been discussed much for PvP use on here yet, and I don’t hear them mentioned very often elsewhere. What can you tell us about them? Do you think they are underrated?
I really don't think they're underrated at all. There's some classes you do better against, and other classes you have to play a lot better than them to do well against. I'm honestly not a terribly good PvP player, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

There's a handful of good PvP builds out there for Warlocks. They're definitely countered by some classes (Rogues) more than others, but it's a hard (and rewarding!) thing to do when you're micro-managing your Felhunter to dispel/purge all while knowing exactly what procs to use against which of their abilities and so forth. A good and geared Warlock who knows what he's doing needs some specialized knowledge to get countered.

Here's a video from TipsOut showcasing a Rogue vs Warlock duel. Any average rogue attempting this sort of 1vs1 without this sort of opener would have likely failed in that duel. So yeah, with the right toolkit they can be amazing PvP-ers and overcome many of their inherent disadvantages (primarily their low mobility).

In the sort of stuff I'm into (structured, open-world PvP) they are insanely good. To name a few advantages:
  • Being able to summon a raid anywhere with just 2 rogues with me enables a lot of capital city shenanigans.
  • The ability to use Healthstone+Death Coil+Health Potion+Sacrifice Voidwalker+Soul Stone+Sacrifice Voidwalker (with Fel Domination) all while DoT-ing enemies with Siphon Life mean you're extremely hard to kill in a large group and it allows you to stay in the front line better than almost any other class.
  • The CC you have with Single Fear+AoE Fear+AoE stun (Infernal) is amazing against groups of any sizes
  • Eye of Killrog is an amazing and versatile scouting tool, it's only second to Far Sight/Eagle Eye in very open spaces

Teldrassil
EU Firemaw
Alliance
Priest

Regarding racials Dwarves are much better but regarding the aesthetics, not so much.